Menu

Suggestions for General Science or Earth Science?

My ds will be in 9th grade next year. I've been planning on him doing Biology and have been reading all of the posts to get some insight on the different things available for biology. Well, just minutes ago, I talked with someone from the oversight/umbrella program that I joined for next year and found out that they required general or earth science for 9th graders. So....I have to reconfigure our high school science plans and find a general or earth science for him.

Any suggestions for a college bound, average to slightly above average child whose mom doesn't want to teach this subject? He's not a science kid although he thoroughly enjoys it (he opted to finish science last year after we decided to end our year). He's wants to major in music when he goes to college, so no scientist here. I want something that is thorough, but not too rigorous. I need something he can do himself with little help from me. Really, I just want to make sure he's doing his work, reinforce if needed, grade tests, and provide supplemental work/opportunities when available. I want to give him the opportunity to become more independent and responsible. I want to teach him how to schedule and manage his assignments. Oh, I also need something with doable labs (all sciences must have lab work).

All suggestions are welcome......and needed :confused1:

Val

I just asked this question earlier in re Earth Science. I am pulling together my own thing based on The Teaching Co.'s lectures How the Eart Works along with a spine such as Earth Science Made Simple, Earth Science Dymystified or Barron's Earth Science the Easy Way. The last two look like they have exams in the texts. And the last one is definitely geared towards preparing the student for an AP exam. I'm thinking working towards that exam might be a good goal even if my ds, who'll be 9th grade next also, doesn't actually take it.

As for labs, at least one of those texts has simple experiments (like growing crystals), that combined with a couple of programs at our local nature centers and some fieldtrips to site of geological interests will do the trick. How many hours of labs do you need? I'm thinking of looking at homeschool science catalogs to see what they've got in terms on hands on stuff.

Hey Val-

Have you looked at Apologia? If you're not opposed to a Christian worldview, check them out at http://www.highschoolscience.com.

Apologia is written to the student. There is no TM. Only a hardback student book and soft bound answer key with tests and solutions to tests and study guides. Experiments use mostly materials found in the home. A supplemental cd of the experiments is available should you not desire to have student complete them at home; at least he can view the experiment :) Having your student work through a module every 2 weeks, it should take 30-32 weeks to complete a book. http://www.donnayoung.org has forms (planning, schedule, etc.) specifically for Apologia science.

Apologia materials are widely available on the used boards making them super affordable :) In our area, outside lab classes are available.

The sequence is General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry. Note no Earth Science. However, upon contacting Apologia, the Earth Science is integrated over Gen and Physical.

HTH,

Teresa

Ok, dumb question alert from a non-science peep...

Can someone help me out with the difference between Physics and Physical Science? I know Physics has to do with the laws of motion and what-not. But I hear that Apologia's Physical Science ha a lot of math, so is their Physical Science really Physics?

Just trying to make sense of it all.

Heather

Teresa, we have done Apologia for the past two years (General and Physical). My son likes it, but I think it is boring. I wanted to use something else. Besides that, Apologia doesn't have a general science course.

Faith, I couldn't possibly "pull something together" for science. God bless you for doing that. I'm stressed as it is. I'm an open and go type of mom and teacher. I will, however, look into the books that you suggested.

Val

Ok, dumb question alert from a non-science peep...

Can someone help me out with the difference between Physics and Physical Science? I know Physics has to do with the laws of motion and what-not. But I hear that Apologia's Physical Science ha a lot of math, so is their Physical Science really Physics?

Just trying to make sense of it all.

Heather

Physical science wraps chemistry in with physics in a 1 year (typ) course, so it doesn't have the time to go into physics with as much depth or breadth as a 1st year physics course. Which, of course, as any physics major will tell you, isn't much depth or breadth.

But both physics and chemistry at the high school level involve math. Even conceptual physics and chemistry involve some math. So I would expect that any high school level survey course of both fields would also include math. Even at the jr. high level, my ds's physical science course includes a small amount of math.

Castle Heights has Pathways in Science. Goes up to 9th grade. It is lab based and covers both physical Science and Earth Science. I like how it is hands on in nature.

Another way is to use Hands of a Child lapbooks for various Earth Science topics. This is a great way to take notes.

I am going to combine these 2 curriculums for my 9th grader.

Kelley