Menu

DC - MT. Vernon how to get there? and more?

We are planning a DC trip next month. My son requested a visit to MT. Vernon. We will not have access to a car as we are flying from Colorado. What are our options?

How difficult would it be to bike it? We are only taking the older three (12,10 and*). They are all on swim team, in running clubs and do triathlons.

I noticed there is a boat trip but it's kind of pricey. Then again the bike rentals and admission costs would probably be the same....

I'm also looking for restaurants. We are staying at The Liaison near Capitol Hill.

Has anyone gone to the Memorial Day Parade? Any tips?

TIA!

I know there are biking trails all the way down there. I'm hoping that someone who lives there will answer. I've visited D.C. fairly often in the past few years (my dad has an apt. in Arlington) & I know my dad has biked all the way down to Mt. Vernon (he's in his 60s) from Arlington. You might want to check the mileage as it's quite a ways. (I'm thinking it's about 20 miles???) I think I might also try to go on a weekday as I know my dad has mentioned that sometimes on weekends the trails are super-crowded & you have 'pro' type bikers who are going really, really quickly. There are lots of nice park/stop areas along the way & it sounds like your family would be in great shape to do such a bike ride. At least w/ the bike ride, you guys would have more time at Mt. Vernon than most tours afford you. Often, you can wait in line for a minimum of 45 minutes just to get into the house, and that's not counting the grounds (which are large). Many tours give you just a few hours there (which is not really enough time to see/enjoy Mt. Vernon, imo).

We live 6 miles from Mt. Vernon--our church is George Washington's church (Pohick). There's even a reproduction of one of the pews in the education center. My husband often drives to Mt V and then bikes thru Alexandria to DC to visit the museums on his day off. It's doable, even for an 8 yr old, but be prepared for a long day.

If you pm me, I'd be happy to tell you another way of getting there...;)

Chris in VA