Menu

How can you tell when garlic is fresh???

It happens every time.... I go to the store thinking, this time I won't fail to choose perfectly fresh garlic. I smell it.. hmmm, don't really smell anything. I squeeze it.... seems firm, must be fresh. I take it home, it's all old on the inside.

How in the world do you choose fresh garlic??? :confused: Help! :willy_nilly:

Did you know that most of the garlic sold in the US is from China? :eek: So, you probably never really get fresh garlic.

If you can find a farmers market, you will have better luck. :)

If you have no other choice, just make sure that the head is firm and the paper is not moist but dry and fresh looking.

I do choose ones that look firm and the paper is dry, but it is alway yucky and old on the inside. :( If it's coming from China though, then you're probably right that I'll never find it fresh in the grocery.

Do you know how to grow garlic?? Does it grow in heat (zone10)?

thanks .:)

You grow garlic just like onions--just bury it. This should be done in the fall though like bulb flowers.

ETA: Best of all almost nothing eats it (Deer don't like bad breath I guess) and it'll keep those pesky vampires away. :D

Edited by darlasowders

You grow garlic just like onions--just bury it. This should be done in the fall though like bulb flowers.

ETA: Best of all almost nothing eats it (Deer don't like bad breath I guess) and it'll keep those pesky vampires away. :D

What are it's water requirements?? How deep do you plant it?? Do you plant just a clove or an entire head?? Will it grow in high heat and humidity?? Thanks for your time. :)

I'm guessing China must not have many vampires either. ;) :) hehe

This should answer some of your questions:

http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/garlic.htm

You plant the cloves individually. They reproduce like other bulb plants (Daffodils etc) by making more cloves. You would then dig them up and replant individual cloves to have a continuing crop. It doesn't seem to say how deep to plant them though. I'd plant them just below the surface--and try them out in various locations.

Be sure to get the right end up. The bottom has roots poking out of the whole bulb or a flat spot where the roots were sliced off. It would be easy to plant an individual clove upside down without even realizing it. Find some way to mark the top end because it really matters.

This should answer some of your questions:

http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/garlic.htm

You plant the cloves individually. They reproduce like other bulb plants (Daffodils etc) by making more cloves. You would then dig them up and replant individual cloves to have a continuing crop. It doesn't seem to say how deep to plant them though. I'd plant them just below the surface--and try them out in various locations.

Be sure to get the right end up. The bottom has roots poking out of the whole bulb or a flat spot where the roots were sliced off. It would be easy to plant an individual clove upside down without even realizing it. Find some way to mark the top end because it really matters.

Thank you. :)