Menu

Science in Maryland, Physical or Biology?

My ds will be in the 9th grade next year. He is currently doing Apologia Physical Science. In Maryland, Physical Science must be one of the sciences they take during hs. I was planning on starting Biology in 9th grade, but I'm now considering doing Physical Science again (with a different text) since it is required in MD.

Should I do Biology in 9th and then go back to a Physical Science in 10th?

Should I repeat Physical Science next year?

I'd like to use something other than Apologia. Can anyone recommend a thorough AND fun Physical Science curriculum for a 9th grader? Something that is student driven....I don't want to have to teach ds science since he's been self educating in this area already.

Val

Hi there, my son is graduating high school this year in MD and we didn't do physical science in high school. I'm not aware of any such law. MD homeschool law requires regular and thorough instruction in subjects usually taught in public schools. I'm sure that does not proscribe specific courses for high school. You may have certain requirements from an umbrella academy, but not the state.

For our high school sciences we did Bio, Chem, Physics and Adv. Chem.

Where are you getting your information about physical science being required? We were almost stationed in MD a few years ago and I don't remember anything about titles of science classes. I think they had requirements for amount of science. Also, in MD, there are two ways to homeschool. One is through a private school in shich case they set up the requirements and you can find one that doesn't have a physical science class requirement. The other way is with reporting to the public school system. I am less familiar with that because I was planning on using the umbrella school option. Either way, when a system requires physical science, that often doesn't mean a class labeled as such but rather that one of the science classes have a physical science approach such as chemistry or physics.

I guess I stated it the wrong way. When I researched graduation requirements for my county (Charles), I found that Physical Science was a requirement for graduation. Under Option 1 of MD home schooling it states, "Must provide regular, thorough instruction in the same subjects as the public schools including English, math, science, social studies, art, music, health, and physical education." Am I wrong in assuming that this means that you must take the same course that the high schoolers do? Am I good as long as I teach a high school science?

Right now, we get our reviews through the ps, but we've enrolled in an umbrella program for next year.

Val

They may require a physical science course, but chemistry and physics are also physical science courses and will count. There's no reason to make him take again a course in which he's already succeeded, rather than having him take a similar course at a higher level.

My ds will be in the 9th grade next year. He is currently doing Apologia Physical Science. In Maryland, Physical Science must be one of the sciences they take during hs. I was planning on starting Biology in 9th grade, but I'm now considering doing Physical Science again (with a different text) since it is required in MD.

Should I do Biology in 9th and then go back to a Physical Science in 10th?

Should I repeat Physical Science next year?

I'd like to use something other than Apologia. Can anyone recommend a thorough AND fun Physical Science curriculum for a 9th grader? Something that is student driven....I don't want to have to teach ds science since he's been self educating in this area already.

Val

As homeschoolers, we don't need to meet the graduationrequirements for the state of Maryland or any county requirements. (Counties in MD may have stricter graduation requirements than the state). All we need to do is to teach annually the required subjects and meet the reporting requirements until they are 16 years of age.. So any science will do until they turn 16. There isn't even a lab requirement for for homeschoolers.

My understanding from my ps reviewer is that since the state doesn't issue diplomas to homeschoolers and that compulsory education (and therefore reporting requirements) ends at 16, there is no need to worry about state requirements.

So just shoot for the requirements of the univerisities you're interested. Of course the MD universities requirements do parallel the state requirements to a certain extent, with exceptions for non-residents.

ETA The subjects we need to teach are broadly defined, so under math you can be teaching general math to your 15 yo or calculus, your choice. Or under social studies, I can teach Chinese history, geography or US gov't while the public schools are covering MD history. We don't need to match the public schools' offerings or timings.

Edited by Kathy in MD

Am I wrong in assuming that this means that you must take the same course that the high schoolers do? Am I good as long as I teach a high school science?

Right now, we get our reviews through the ps, but we've enrolled in an umbrella program for next year.

Val

Yes, your assumption is incorrect. And you are also correct that you just need to teach high school science. Val, mostly what you really need to check is the requirements of the colleges he is interested in attending. Some will require lab sciences and some may not. As far as MD is concerned there is not a specific scope and sequence kind of thing that you must follow. We are part of an umbrella too, and ours requires two sciences in high school for graduation. They recommend more than that, but the UMBRELLA requires 2 sciences, one of which must be biology. That's it....really easy. Don't let the county's reqs or recommendations scare you into their mold. You really are free to tailor it to your needs and the needs of your student for the colleges they want to attend.

I am so relieved to find out that I don't have to follow the state or county guidelines. Since we are a military family, my dh is still active duty, and my son wants to go to college near home, we are having a hard time choosing colleges at this time. We may not be in MD when ds graduates. We've looked a some of the college requirements in MD. We are also looking in TX, as that is where we started our journey.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help.

Val