Menu

~Tell me what you think of Stephen King~

If you enjoy reading his books try listening to Duma Key on cd it is amazing. Funny, tragic, haunting- all the usual suspects as well. I always have had a soft spot for The Shining as my family used to go to a hotel in Excelsesior Springs called the Elms that had hot mineral springs in small caves near the hotel that just were not right...it was huge ,rambling ,built in the 20s goosebumps recalling it. It is under renovation presently but what a great old spooky place with history. I have enjoyed his forays into non-horror work and particularly loved Hearts in Atlantis. For those who consider him "lowbrow" I offer the following link in which it is proposed that much of what passes for brilliant literary fiction is bullroar.... I agree wholeheartedly. http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200107/myers hope you enjoy the article.

If you enjoy reading his books try listening to Duma Key on cd it is amazing. Funny, tragic, haunting- all the usual suspects as well. I always have had a soft spot for The Shining as my family used to go to a hotel in Excelsesior Springs called the Elms that had hot mineral springs in small caves near the hotel that just were not right...it was huge ,rambling ,built in the 20s goosebumps recalling it. It is under renovation presently but what a great old spooky place with history. I have enjoyed his forays into non-horror work and particularly loved Hearts in Atlantis. For those who consider him "lowbrow" I offer the following link in which it is proposed that much of what passes for brilliant literary fiction is bullroar.... I agree wholeheartedly. http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200107/myers hope you enjoy the article.

Oh my that sounds absolutely creepy to me!

So nice to see how many people have experiences and opinions on Stephen King. I love, love The Shining!

one of my favorites.

Thanks for adding to this thread. I have been working on the Tom Gordon book.

As a side note I just saw The Strangers and enjoyed being scared. So many movies just don't scare me anymore, but I've read a lot of true crime and that stuff scares the heck out of me. I want to read more Stephen King but some of his books are just so-o big, it's overwhelming to me.

As a side note I just saw The Strangers and enjoyed being scared.

Oh, I hate scary movies! You guys would not BELIEVE what a huge chicken I am when it comes to scary movies!! I'm not a chicken IRL. I have no problem with telling people off or calling strangers on the phone or snakes or fixing a toilet or anything except bugs (*shudder*) and scary movies. I'm such a dork!

My hubby was deployed when The Ring came out on DVD. Everyone told me how good it was and how I just had to see it. I rented it, watched until the phone rings and turned it off. THEN I rented it again and still chickened out! I had to wait until hubby came home before I watched it!

Oh, I hate scary movies! You guys would not BELIEVE what a huge chicken I am when it comes to scary movies!! I'm not a chicken IRL. I have no problem with telling people off or calling strangers on the phone or snakes or fixing a toilet or anything except bugs (*shudder*) and scary movies. I'm such a dork!

My hubby was deployed when The Ring came out on DVD. Everyone told me how good it was and how I just had to see it. I rented it, watched until the phone rings and turned it off. THEN I rented it again and still chickened out! I had to wait until hubby came home before I watched it!

I love to see scary movies, but I hate too much gore and I have some weird fear of masks!! Always have. I am adjusting more but it was so bad that every time I went to Universal Studios I would absolutely freeze with fear when the Scary guys would come near. The ones who look like Frankenstein and Dracula. My first date with my husband we went there and he just stood there and didn't realize that I truly was in terror as one of those guys would not leave me alone. I wasn't kidding, I was frozen in fear!

I can't read his books. My brain cooks up nightmares at the drop of the hat, and his books feed that ability too much. What I do with King books is to pick them up and read UNTIL the scary parts start. I like his writing....

Then I jump around the book reading bits and pieces here and there that don't scare me, LOL, until I inadvertently run into a scary bit by accident and stop reading all together.

BUT his book "On Writing" is soooooo good. I would recommend that anyone interested in writing read it, or even better - get the audio version which is read by King. It was so cool to hear him read it.

After listening to it at bedtime for several weeks I had a dream where he came and critiqued a bit of my writing that was suspenseful, but not suspenseful enough. It was a great dream.

I think he writes amazingly well, but the evil/demonic subject material should be avoided at all costs. There is so much wonderful literature out there that is uplifting and thought provoking. Just like diet affects our physical health, I think this kind of "diet" is detrimental to our mental/spiritual/emotional well-being.

He is definately my favorite author! I have read and loved most of his books and also the movies. My kids like the movies too, we all try to be the first to spot him, as he usually has a quick appearance in each movie. I am always talking about whether there are differences in the movie and the book and my dc hate that I always know when something is gonna happen. And as far as scary goes, it doesn't bother me. I have had nightmares worse than his novels.:001_huh:

Oh my that sounds absolutely creepy to me!

So nice to see how many people have experiences and opinions on Stephen King. I love, love The Shining!

one of my favorites.

Thanks for adding to this thread. I have been working on the Tom Gordon book.

As a side note I just saw The Strangers and enjoyed being scared. So many movies just don't scare me anymore, but I've read a lot of true crime and that stuff scares the heck out of me. I want to read more Stephen King but some of his books are just so-o big, it's overwhelming to me.

His novels are big but once I pick one up I can't put it down. When "IT" first came out I read the entire book in the car, on the way to visit my ds in MI. Yep, over a 1000 pages in less than 12 hours and all while I was 6 months pregnant.:D