Menu

Church cover school or register with local school board?

Kidlit

We have the option of doing either since I am a certified teacher (as is dh). DH thinks it will be better to go with the cover school, and while I am inclined to agree (less paper work to keep up with myself, not accountable to the local superintendent), I have some reservations. Namely, I remember when I was a classroom teacher that when/if we got a student from "one of those" schools (meaning a hs cover), we didn't exactly look upon them favorably. I hate to admit it, but it really is true. I would love to hs my children until they graduate, but there's no way I can say that they will NEVER attend ps.

What do you guys think? I really value your expertise!

I see from your location it says "the south".... I'm wondering if you are talking about AL? We used to live in AL and if I were going back to AL, I'd personally do the cover school. I think there are good and bad cover schools. There were some without hardly any requirements to one I know of in Montgomery that was a "real" church school that allowed homeschoolers to join under a homeschool church school cover. The parents had to attend meetings, follow their regulations (not anything bad) and get approved by the pastor, etc. Your child would end up with a transcript & diploma from them, too come graduation. Anyhow, I rambled. But, if I personally was going back to AL, I'd do the cover school in a heartbeat!

What state are you in?

Here in FL, if we sign up with a cover school, dual enrollment is impossible through the local school. Since I wanted the ability for ds to try out for the local school's basketball team (which he made this year), I had to remain an independent hs'er. I would do the same if ds wanted to participate in band, choir, drama, etc. The paperwork and accountability as an independent hs'er is minimal.

I'm in AL, and was certified (it expired). From what I understand, if you use that option, you have to be a lot pickier about hours and curricula and all that stuff. It sounded much more like "PS at home", like you might do for a kid who's on homebound tutoring for a time or something like that.

We've been pleased with our church covering school so far. There are many to choose from. If you are comfortable PMing a more specific location, and if it's close to me, I'll try naming off some cover schools I've heard of. They all have varying degrees of parental requirements, and religious requirements, and all that. Something for everyone.

Was the teachers' prejudice against church schools and homeschooling in general, or about specific church cover schools?

BUT my first thought is that I would want to choose whichever one left me alone more. Whichever gave ME more freedom to do whatever *I* want.

:iagree:I live in TN and it's definitely worth being enrolled in a CRS (Church Related School) because I don't have to test and there's no one breathing down my neck.

I think the prejudice was just toward homeschooling in general--sort of "Oh no, here's a kid who won't know what's going on here."

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded! I really think that the consensus is correct--it would not be good to be constantly scrutinized by the powers that be.