Menu

Heart of Dakota: Anyone use Beyond Little Hearts or Bigger Hearts?

Sue G in PA

Next year my 3 oldest children are going back to public school. I will have ds8, ds6, dd4 and ds1 at home. Ds8 is my challenge child (Aspergers) and I've yet to find any program that really motivates him. This past year, we tried to use MFW ECC and while I loved the concept...my kids just were not thrilled with studying Geography all year. I've resigned myself to just studying the locations of the countries with them, doing the Bible and skipping the rest. Anyhoo...can somebody talk to me about the two programs I mentioned? I'd love to combine my ds8 and ds6 in ONE program but Beyond seems too easy for ds8 and perfect for ds6 while Bigger seems just right or maybe even a bit challenging for ds8 and way beyond ds6. HELP! Ds8 is a challenge, as I've said. He is extremely bright, can read very well, but hates to write. He does not like to be bored, do workbooks or anything that he "already knows". He catches on to new concepts quickly and to go over them repeatedly bores him. Can anyone advise on which program would be a good fit? I really can't see myself doing 2 b/c I'll likely be doing MFW K with my 4yo. AAAGGGGHHHH!

Hi Sue,

I would ask this over at the HOD board, the ladies there are very helpful in placing you in the right program and many have great experience combining. I will be starting both Beyond & Bigger (as well as CTC) this coming fall so don't have any experience with these two programs yet (do have my books though and they both look great). We are just finishing up Little Hearts and Preparing and doing both programs was very doable. :001_smile:

I'm combining 3 kids in Beyond. They are 10 (9 when we started), soon to be 8 and soon to be 6. I use Beyond for it's scheduled RA's, history, science, geography, art, poetry, etc. I do not use it for LA's and math because I have my own programs that I really like, so I don't want to change.

I do not think Beyond is below your 8 yr olds level. My oldest, my son, is an average student who is learning alot from Beyond. It was pointed out to me that the Pioneers to Patriots book was written for 3rd and 4th grades. I don't know if that is true or not. What I do know is that I have a history program that works for all of my kids. My oldest gets more out of it because he retains better than the other two. That's how I know it's working. He is interested in the stories, including the RA's from the book package. So far all we have done is Helen Keller and A Lion to Guard Us. They have both been perfect. Keep in mind that we have just finished Unit 5, so we aren't that far into it.

The program links the Bible portion with the history, poetry, science, geo., and art. That is what I was looking for. I usually skip the crafty portions (there aren't many) and I sometimes skip the science activities if everyone gets the concept from my reading to them. My main focus while teaching this is to my oldest, then my middle and last my daughter. So I'm really shooting for exposure with my younger two, since we'll go through this a few more times. I also want them to enjoy the stories. They are all interested and that's so good to see.

Before I started HOD my history, science, and everything else was hit or miss. It seemed all I could ever get done was the basics. Now that I've started this program I am so satisified with what I am able to accomplish in a day. We are able to do so much more and it's interesting and painless. Again, I don't do every single thing, I still make it work for me.

Here's what we do. First is chores, then breakfast. Then I start off with their storytime, Bible and poetry. This is 15-20 minutes. Then we get into their basic subjects and I do alot of tag teaming since I have two working on phonics. The other kids rotate using the computer while I do some one on one work with each of them. I really use a timer and since I'm doing shorter timed sessions everything is working out so much better for us. We now have more of a flow to things and we are getting more chores done. After everyone's basics are finished I will then pull everyone back together to do the HOD history and science/geo/art/or whatever is scheduled for that day (these things will rotate throughout the week).

If your oldest likes listening to stories then I think HOD is great for you. However, it won't have you reading from alot of sources at once. You'll go over a poem, and a scripture daily (if you want to of course) then you'll do a few pages of a story and a few from history. Sometimes, depending on the day, you'll read a page of science. But things are flowing and the program doesn't skip around so much like I've seen other programs do.

On busier weeks when I've gotten off track I've just done alot more reading on one or two more days of the week to get caught up. The reading is way more doable IMHO than Sonlight. I can't compare it to MFW.

The cool thing about using this package is that if you wanted to add a little bit more for your oldest, you still can and not pull your hair out. We usually start around 09:00 and go to 1:00, but that's with 3 kids, lunch, phonics, our own Bible reading, typing, everything. Before it seemed like my day was taking forever and I wasn't satisified because we didn't ever do history and science.

Lastly, and I haven't personally tried this, but if your oldest is a big reader then you could pick up Drawn into the Heart of Reading. One thing I do like is the HOD book packages...they are convenient and so far we've enjoyed the selections.

Hope this helps,

Alison in KY

I've used Beyond for an 8 year old and this is when he finally began enjoying school and learning. Important to note that I did not use her schedule for reading or math because we were using other things that were working. My son does not like to write but the copywork was just the right amount and gradually grows throughout the year. The books used, which are from Christian Liberty Press, are listed for 3rd and 4th grade. On its face, the program doesn't look like much, true. It looks easy but once you get started, it is a lesson on "don't judge a book by its cover." The beauty of this program is that it doesn't overwhelm the child. Charlotte Mason-style - short lessons that kids retain. The craft projects were not overwhelming and didn't end up in the trash 5 minutes later. Many say the science is not enough and because of the ease of this program, if you do find this so, you can add in your own science. There is not a lot of skipping around in books so the kids are able to get to know the characters and the stories within them. It gradually builds throughout the year so that when the year is finished, their skill levels are ready for the next program. The placement chart is true to its word. I will say that it would be quite easy to use two programs because this program doesn't take all day to complete. You could use Beyond for your 6 year old (be sure they are ready for this, though) and Bigger for the older child but you could use the same read-alouds. Also, if you use Bigger she does offer some advanced learner books that are scheduled out in the appendix to add more to the program. Not necessary but an option. The beauty of this program is that it allows you to get schoolwork done and more time left over to either get to those subjects you never seem to have time for, for example a foreign language, or good old fashioned playtime (and chores that never seem to get done but are needed). I wish I had gone on with Bigger this year for my ds who is in 3rd but decided to try out SL to keep him in the same history period as his two older siblings for my sanity - I'm going back to HOD this year for Bigger as the memories we made studying Beyond were just too precious.

Thanks ladies for your input. I see from your posts that Beyond might be a better fit than I originally thought. I, too, plan to use my own LA and math since we have something that works. Since my 8yo hasn't enjoyed school and has fought me tooth and nail about doing schoolwork thus far...perhaps a "lighter" day would be best anyway. I have, btw, signed up at the HOD board but haven't gotten my authorization to post yet. I thought I would post here, too, since I know many of you use HOD. I'm excited about this. Of course, I was excited about MFW, too, and that didn't work very well this year. :glare: I still have some praying to do, but in my spirit HOD seems "right". Thanks again and keep the input coming if there is anyone else!

I'd just like to echo the great points that Heidi and Alison made. We're in the last two months of Beyond with my 8yo ds, and it has been a wonderful year. I was waffling between Beyond and Bigger, but I am so glad we went with Beyond. Everything is finished on time each day, he is learning and retaining so much, and we still have lots of opportunity to pursue his other interests without feeling rushed or overwhelmed.

If you feel like Bigger might be a stretch for your dc, I would highly encourage you to take the time to do Beyond. The biggest thing I've learned in 6+ yrs hs'ing is that there's no rush. I'd rather my little guy be having fun, learning lots, and feeling confident than to constantly be pushing him to "do what other moms are doing."

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you haven't already, do spend some time over on the HOD boards.. it's truly a blessing to be a part of such a caring, loving group of ladies. :)

Hi Sue,

I am in unit 20 (meaning week 20) of Bigger and have really loved it. From what I have learned over time with the other ladies at the HoD board, it's that you want to gear your combining toward the best fit for the younger and then beef up for the older, so Beyond sounds perfect. If you place for the older, you will lose the younger, but if you place for the younger child, the older will follow along and then also get engaged in their level readings and things.

There have been only a couple of things in Bigger that I thought were "too easy". Spelling is one area. I pulled my dd from ps where she was having some decently challenging spelling lists. So I thought the ones in Bigger were too easy. BUT, then I discovered :huh: DICTATION. Those seemed easy at first too (I have a very strong reader on my hands) but I am loving how it's teaching the words in context, punctuation, etc. What a concept! :tongue_smilie:

I also thought the science could be meatier, but really, now that I'm 20 weeks in, I don't feel that way anymore. We mostly do a lot of science notebooking and dd is really learning how to "ask the question", guess the answer, and then do the activity for discovery (procedure), and then make a conclusion. Again, another area that I didn't see the value in for a good while. At ps all science was "FUN!" but not much retained at all. We also have added some nature activites to add in more science, and will do more in our leisure time as her interests are discovered, but that's the nice thing, there's plenty of time for that.

The very best part for me though is the Bible portion. I never got time to have these kinds of character conversations with dd when she was in school. It's been a HUGE blessing, and for us...the whole point of homeschooling.

HTH!