Menu

SL4 or WP Amer. Story II?

TundraAcademy

I like WP because of the activities. I don't think the books in Sonlight 4 (readers) are that hard--

I'd go with the one that fits your child's style better. You can always take out a couple of books and substitute others, and still use the program frugally.

We are going to do SL 4 next year (already have it). I like SL because it does not have hands on activities. My kids do their own thing like tee pees and Spanish forts during core 3, but they did it all themselves and I didn't have to participate.:)

We did WP Animals and Their Worlds and I got behind because of all the little projects. If you like hands on, then WP is good. I love SL for all the great books and how easiy it is for me to teach.

I was wondering if anyone had opinions about these. I thought about SL4 but heard that some of the books were a bit difficult for a 4th/5th grader. I like the looks of the books with WP, but was wondering if the schedule jumped around a lot? Any thoughts?

thanks!

Wendy,

I think it matters more what type of learner the child is. SL worked great for my auditory learner, but WP works better with my three hands on, visual learners.

Heather

My kids are pretty auditory, and I would like to include my 2nd grader in the mix. My oldest has just jumped from reading Jigsaw Jones to the Great Brain just recently, so I'm interested in getting a program with scheduled reading. I want him to have his own schedule to follow (so I won't be the "bad" guy coming up with my own schedule!). I'm wondering if WP Amer Story (or Cultures) may have easier readers than SL4?

We are finishing up on my own Early American curriculum (w/Los Banos help), so I'm interested in a Modern History curriculum.

Thanks!

WP has several packages of readers for the second half of American History. If you call them you can get just the schedule.

LA 2 for American 2 |WITH THIS READER SET: Robert Henry Hendershot, ...

LA 3 &4 for American 2 WITH THIS READER SET:, Jericho Journey, ...

LA 5&6 for Later American | LA5-A2 | $159

WITH THIS READER SET: Jericho Journey, Caddie Woodlawn, The Great Fire, Jason’s Gold, When the Circus Came to Town, Helen Keller, On the Wings of Heroes, In the Year of the Boar..., My Side of the Mountain, How to Eat Fried Worms. (Readers Only with Schedule - #LA3R-A2 - $67)

All American II is designed for a large age range with independent schedules for the older students.

There is also a 7&8

HTH