Menu

Any fun or easy way to teach the books of the Bible?

DawnM

We have learned the books of the Bible, but then when I ask for review they inevitably will miss a few. And they don't seem to "get" where a book is in relation to the rest of the Bible if I ask them to look something up.

Anything out there that will help with this?

Thanks,

Dawn

...with my 4th and 2nd grader (4yo has learned most too!). No special tricks or songs (though that would be cool!). We are also almost done with "Day by Day Kid's Bible", which has been really great! It took us longer than a year though, as we missed days here and there, but the amount of reading for each day is just right for a reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Day-Kids-Bible-Readers-ebook/dp/B001CHTYXO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240096828&sr=8-2

I'm noticing that since we have almost been through the whole book now, they have a better reference of where the books sit in the Bible. I think that makes it easier when you're memorizing. Each time before we read, we do a moment of Bible memory work, like listing the books of the Bible, reciting prayer's, creeds, etc. Then we get on with the reading.....

I just found this:

http://www.ebibleteacher.com/children/songs.htm

But haven't tried it yet. Lot's of Bible memory work set to tunes? May be worth a look....

Here's a youtube video that has the books set to a tune. I like it! I think I might give a try this week for review:

Have a good night!

- Stacey in MA

Did you use the ones Stacey mentioned or do you have a few others?

Dawn

and now I find myself humming the Old Testament books in order while I do dishes! :D (Oh, yeah, the kiddos learned from the song as well! ;))

1. Songs. If all else fails, sing the song to yourself! There are lots of fun ones. Our favorite is by Ronnie Caldwell, sample audio is here: http://pkmi.org/pages/music_cds.htm

2. Games. MFW uses a game that helps because you're matching a book with it's "neighbors."

3. Looking stuff up in the Bible.

4. My older dd used SanctiFinder by the CalcuLadder folks. She found it rather dry, tho.

5. Have you looked through a book describing how the Bible is set up, such as What The Bible is All About For Young Explorers? For "me" there are a series of facts that help me think thru where a book is. Maybe your kids would respond to my kind of thinking here. Simple things that may seem obvious still help organize it in my mind, such as...

- The Old Testament is very long

- The book of Psalms is about in the middle of the Bible

- The first part of the OT is the 5 books of Jewish law, followed by mostly history & poetry

- The first part of the NT is the 4 gospels, followed by the Acts of the Apostles that finishes the history of what happened after Christ died

- The last part of each testament is where you find a whole series of prophets or letters

- The prophets in the OT have "person" names, like Ezekial and Isaiah

- A few of the OT prophets are "out of order" and come before the rest of the prophets (they are before we finish with Solomon's wisdom/poetry). To me, Joshua, Esther, and Ruth are close to history, so it makes sense in my mind, but Ezra & Nehemia take extra effort for me to remember

- Isaiah is very long, and it is the first book in the "prophet" section of the OT

- The letters of the NT have "place" names that often end with "ians" -- Ephesians, Colossians

- Revelations is at the end :)

Okay, maybe that was silly to list all that, but it's the way I think through where a book is

Thank you! Does MFW sell the game by itself? They LOVE games! I plan to use a game to teach them about the colonies and some History.

Dawn

1. Songs. If all else fails, sing the song to yourself! There are lots of fun ones. Our favorite is by Ronnie Caldwell, sample audio is here: http://pkmi.org/pages/music_cds.htm

2. Games. MFW uses a game that helps because you're matching a book with it's "neighbors."

3. Looking stuff up in the Bible.

4. My older dd used SanctiFinder by the CalcuLadder folks. She found it rather dry, tho.

5. Have you looked through a book describing how the Bible is set up, such as What The Bible is All About For Young Explorers? For "me" there are a series of facts that help me think thru where a book is. Maybe your kids would respond to my kind of thinking here. Simple things that may seem obvious still help organize it in my mind, such as...

- The Old Testament is very long

- The book of Psalms is about in the middle of the Bible

- The first part of the OT is the 5 books of Jewish law, followed by mostly history & poetry

- The first part of the NT is the 4 gospels, followed by the Acts of the Apostles that finishes the history of what happened after Christ died

- The last part of each testament is where you find a whole series of prophets or letters

- The prophets in the OT have "person" names, like Ezekial and Isaiah

- A few of the OT prophets are "out of order" and come before the rest of the prophets (they are before we finish with Solomon's wisdom/poetry). To me, Joshua, Esther, and Ruth are close to history, so it makes sense in my mind, but Ezra & Nehemia take extra effort for me to remember

- Isaiah is very long, and it is the first book in the "prophet" section of the OT

- The letters of the NT have "place" names that often end with "ians" -- Ephesians, Colossians

- Revelations is at the end :)

Okay, maybe that was silly to list all that, but it's the way I think through where a book is

Thank you! Does MFW sell the game by itself? They LOVE games! I plan to use a game to teach them about the colonies and some History.

Dawn

No, their games are in their teacher (or student) pages. But I would think a search online would come up with something or other. Or make your own on cardstock like MFW has you do. I find games are very effective for kids' learning.

I would start with a song, and then move on to learning the books in sections (Torah, Prophets, Gospels, etc....)

The posters that show the books divided like little bookshelves was helpful when I was a kid - I need to find one.....

I will search....also, maybe my used curriculum store has a teacher's guide for not too much.....is MFW grade/level specific? Do you know WHICH book the game is in?

I don't mind making one up if I know what it is supposed to look like, what the rules are, etc...

Thanks,

Dawn

No, their games are in their teacher (or student) pages. But I would think a search online would come up with something or other. Or make your own on cardstock like MFW has you do. I find games are very effective for kids' learning.

Is that the name of the CD? Singing the Bible?

Dawn

We used The Singing Bible CD/cassettes and learned them in order. You catch onto the tune very quickly and they are reminded or it when looking for a certain book then, too.

Is only one year offered? Or do I need to know which level?

Dawn

Dawn,

MFW (My Father's World) is a whole, year-long curriculum covering many subjects! But looking at a curriculum store for various game ideas is a good idea.