Menu

K12

Guest cbutz

We used it our first year. At the time my oldest two were 3rd and 1st grade. We liked it a bit. There were days when I felt we were chained to the computer. We did not continue the next year because by then I was getting my own ideas about what I wanted to do and different curriculum that would work better for them. I know several homeschooling families around me that use it and love it. HTH

I love K12 for the subjects where I want something rich but I just don't have the time and/or the desire to plan. This year I am using LA3, English B, and Science 2-3. Last year I used Life Science (not as impressed with this but I think the Advanced versions would be much better), Science 1, History K, and Art K.

The most important thing I've learned about using K12 is that it is *not* necessary to do every last thing they suggest. We do *a lot* orally.

We use it independently and I understand that many folks who go with a virtual academy get bogged down in all the lessons. Being independent, I can use it as a resource rather than something I am a slave to.

If you want to have a look at more lessons than just those you can see on the website, call them to get a demo account. With that you can see all the lessons for K-8.

too many worksheets.

:iagree:

The only way I can use K12 without going crazy is to carefully select which worksheets will be completed in writing, which we will do orally, and which I will toss out. Since there are relatively few which I make them complete, I just use the student books for reference and print the sheets individually when I want them filled in.

We're finishing up our 2nd year.

We used the full curriculum for my oldest son this year, but next year we will back out math, as he's starting the Chalk Dust series. My oldest will probably use it for two more years.

My oldest daughter used it for math, history, science and art this year, and next year she'll be in Chalk Dust Math, but we'll add the Language arts for her.

I really like the LA, history, art and science. Music we are doing, but only one course for everyone.

It's been great for us. But, due to costs (and changing gears) we won't continue past 6th grade... at which time we're planning to use more Veritas. If I can afford it, we may continue with Science through high school with K12... but that's only if I can't find something we can do at home on my own better.

Lisa

I use K12 through a Virtual Academy for my 3 children - 6, 8, and 12. It does have a lot of worksheets but you can select what to do and what not to do for the most part. The history is very good - especially for the younger grades. I really like the classical, cyclical approach. Science is okay, but we definitely pick and choose our labs. The main reason I use it through the VA is that it keeps me honest as far as keeping up with where everyone should be. My son is in K12 Honors Chemistry and Pre-calc. There have been some mistakes in the materials that we have had to point out to the teachers, but other than that it is presented well.

Annika

I use K12 through a Virtual Academy for my 3 children - 6, 8, and 12. It does have a lot of worksheets but you can select what to do and what not to do for the most part. The history is very good - especially for the younger grades. I really like the classical, cyclical approach. Science is okay, but we definitely pick and choose our labs. The main reason I use it through the VA is that it keeps me honest as far as keeping up with where everyone should be. My son is in K12 Honors Chemistry and Pre-calc. There have been some mistakes in the materials that we have had to point out to the teachers, but other than that it is presented well.

Annika

Your 12 year old is in Honors Chemistry and Pre-calc? Are you sure you need to do a virtual academy to keep up with where everyone should be? Seems like you're doing fine. J/K But really, I am impressed. Good for you and your son!