Menu

CLEP or SAT2 after Apologia Bio and Advanced Bio??

Which would a student be better prepared for after finishing these two texts?? I would like ds to do some sort of exam to leave a papertrail of his academic work. A regent is sort of out of the question since I didn't request it earlier ...so which do we do...SAT2 or CLEP??

Thanks,

Faithe

I would think that after bio and advanced bio a student might be ready for the AP, but that might require ordering in the fall, unless you are close to a larger testing center.

If that is not an option I would go for a SAT II rather than a CLEP only in that the SAT II might be somehwhat more likely to be accepted as a college as outside verification. (Some colleges require SAT II's, I know of no college that requires a CLEP).

Both would be adequate in terms of leaving a papertrail. And depending on where you student goes to college, the CLEP might translate into extra credits or advanced placement. but that varies widely from college to college so don't bank on that.

In my experience, most private midwest schools award credit for a 50 on the CLEP. I know several students who have successfully taken this test after Apologia Bio and Advanced Bio. A study guide for the test would probably be useful to make sure your student is ready.

I don't know anything about the SAT II, but we have done well on the CLEP after just Apologia Biology. We used the REA study guide for a few weeks before the test, and it covered some things that were missing in the Apologia text -- mainly evolution and I think some anatomy which is, of course, covered in Apologia's Advanced Biology. I'm sure that a student who had used both Apologia Biology texts and the REA guide would do great on the CLEP.

Think about what colleges your child is looking at. Some colleges accept CLEP; some don't.

A good SAT2 score is useful when applying to more presitigious colleges or when applying for merit aid, but is useless if your child is thinking of going the CC route.

As always, the answer is "It depends on what path you're taking and where you're trying to get to!"

A good SAT2 score is useful when applying to more presitigious colleges or when applying for merit aid, but is useless if your child is thinking of going the CC route.

Gwen,

I'm not so sure about this. Although I have no specific evidence, I'm guessing that strong SAT2 scores would strengthen an application to a more prestigious school along with CC courses because I think the SAT2 scores would allow the schools to more directly compare their homeschooled applicants with those attending more traditional high schools.

JM2Cents,

Brenda

• 2 years later...

Brenda,

When I said "CC route" I meant that the student was planning on attending a CC, not heading towards a 4-year college directly from high school.

For a student who moves right into a CC and then either plans on stopping at the end of the Associate's degree or transferring to a state 4-year college using an articulation agreement, the SAT2's are unnecessary.

I totally agree that for a student who is merely taking some CC classes in high school but plans on actually attending a 4-year college directly after high school SAT2's are a GOOD idea!

Sorry about the confusion!

I am strongly pro-SAT2. Cumulatively, my kids have now taken 11 SAT2's -- and one kid is still in 9th! (Yes, this is an old thread -- but I wanted to clarify!)