Menu

Dd going to ps for 11th - a few questions...

She has done one year of Rosetta Stone French - no problems. Anyone have any experience of how this will prepare her for a textbook based French 2?

How is Honors Algebra 2 different than regular Algebra 2? She did BJU Algebra 1 and MUS Geometry - did fine with both.

BTW, she is going to ps because she wanted the experience of it. Most of her friends (all very nice) go to this school. We have peace about it - and it doesn't hurt that the principal, both counselors, and several teachers go to our church!

Thanks in advance!

Susan

For French it would be a VERY GOOD idea to get a copy of the French 1 text that the PS uses--to review and note differences. If possible, make an appointment with one of the French 1 teachers and 'interview' them about the class and the progress that is expected at that level. One thing to note is that PS French classes have lots of written work... she may need to fill in some gaps this summer (maybe the teacher would be willing to give a few tutoring sessions for a small fee...)

Honors Algebra 2 will move faster and cover more ground than the 'regular' level classes. Usually they have a few 'extra' application problems and go a bit deeper into the concpets. BJU should have prepared her well for the Honors class.

Both of your questions have the same answer: it depends.

It is my understanding that Rosetta Stone is light on grammar. Can you borrow the French I text that the school uses and see what her gaps are? None of us can predict what she has missed because not every book does things in the same order.

Similarly, how honors Algebra II differs from regular Algebra II depends on the book and possibly the instructor. Sometimes the courses are essentially the same with honors having a project. In other cases, honors could use a more challenging text.

If I were you, I would go to the school with the curricular materials you used and examine the school's choices.

Jane (who is essentially agreeing with Jann)