Menu

Copyright Proctection for "Cyber-materials"

I'm hoping that some folks on this forum might know something about copyright in the context of writings posted on blogs/websites.

First, does copyright protection apply to blog/website postings?

Second, if it does, then how does one indicate copyright - is it also with a

c inside a circle with year and name?

Thanks!

I'm hoping that some folks on this forum might know something about copyright in the context of writings posted on blogs/websites.

First, does copyright protection apply to blog/website postings?

Second, if it does, then how does one indicate copyright - is it also with a

c inside a circle with year and name?

Thanks!

Yes, it most certainly does.

Read this article...http://www.deadlinenews.com/copyright.html

In my rather limited understanding, your work is copyrighted as soon as it is created. The use of the symbol and year information primarily serves to warn others that you take your copyright seriously. (And can be helpful in a court case to prove that you made it abundantly clear to others that your work was not public domain.) The big problem is in the monitoring and enforcement. How diligently will you be scouring the net (or other media) for copyright infringements and if you do find something, what will you do about it? Lawsuits are often costly, so a cease and desist letter is usually the first step.

I know I would rather be writing and homeschooling and going about the rest of my life instead of having to be constantly looking over my cyber shoulder to see if thieves are stealing my work.

I see what you mean about monitoring and all. And honestly, I don't have time for that either. :001_smile:

DC's enjoy writing songs and I post them from time to time on the blog. We joke about publishing some of their favorites someday on something like lulu.com. So I figured I'd check in on what is proper in case they really want to do that someday. :001_smile: