Menu

what to include in dd's introduction to her teachers at public school...

Hi!

Help! I'm hoping for some advice on what info to include in an intro to dd's new public school teachers. This will be her very first time in a large school setting (she's always been hs'd.) What should I say? I want to tell them a little bit about Abbey but don't know where to start! Have any of you done this before?

All help is appreciated!

Karen in MD

How old is your child? Why do you need an intro?

For any grade above 4, I don't think I'd give an intro. My ds went to public high school this year. I gave transcripts, standardized test scores, including NLE and national French contest. Basically, any standardized test that verified the level of instruction I put on the transcript, although there was not a test for everything.

If the child has a special need, then explain. Provide medical data for allergies or things that could come up during the school day (something that would require extra bathroom time, physical activities to avoid, etc.)

If your child has special need that requires educational accommodation, then in your make a referral for evaluation. Provide the data that makes you conclude such educational need exists.

I provided a small bit of info for my youngest daughter one year. I explained she was entering school after being homeschooled and I hoped we (me and the teacher) could work together to ensure a smooth transition. I also mentioned she was usually an enthusiastic worker and loved math. I offered to answer any questions or concerns the teacher might have. I left it at that. The teacher was really nice to me but really didn't seek my input on anything.