Menu

2nd grade Latin... schedule/time???

Targhee

For those doing Latin in 2nd grade, how much time do you spend each day on lessons (and what are you using)? 15 min? 20? 30? 5????

Next year will be first year of Latin. I'm planning on doing it 4 days a week, and am roughly following LCC. I'm deciding between using SSL, Minimus, and Lively Latin (can't decide if I want to 'jump in' with LL, or introduce in a 'fun and gentle' way with SSL or Minimus). But no matter which one I use, I'm trying to get a handle on our daily schedule so I can plan extra-domestic (outside the house) activies for the fall. So, how much time do you spend??

Lol at "extra-domestic" as opposed to extracurricular. :D

We've used Prima Latina this year for 2nd grade. And we don't do the same amount every day. When we start a new lesson, we probably spend about 15-20 min. on going over the new material and doing the first page with writing in the workbook. Then the next day they do the 2nd page, again it takes about 15-20 min. We also run through flash cards and say our prayers daily. The next couple of days are just reviewing, so 5-10 min. Once in awhile I have them right out a prayer for extra copywork.

I'd say on average it's less than 15 min. a day at this point. But that's with Prima Latina. I'll schedule 30 min. next year for third grade Latina Christiana.

Latin For Children A takes us about an hour for the first session and anywhere from 20 minutes on up for a second session later in the day. That sounds like a lot but it's, hands down, her favorite subject and she cheers for it every day. Technically we're in third grade, but her peers will be starting 3rd in the fall, so she's still second grade age.