Menu

Algebra 1 Review

My daughter is finishing Math U See Algebra 1 next month. I would like her to have more review before starting Geometry next Fall to help prepare her for the ACT. I have access to Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 and thought about having her work through that but I don't really want her to do another year of Algebra 1. What can I have her do for review during the summer? She is not strong in math and has struggled with algebra. I got a tutor and this did help her. I just want her to be more grounded in Algebra for the ACT and when she has to take it in college.

Any ideas??

Thanks so much!

I hope you get more posts on this topic....

We also used MUS algebra this year, followed by LOF. I feel my ds still doesn't grasp the concepts (nor does he feel confident...). I can't imagine moving to Algebra 2. I've been QQing over math lately. :crying:

We used Aleks one summer for review of Algebra 1 before moving onto Algebra 2. My daughter loved it so much that she is still using Aleks along side her other math. There used to be a coupon out for a free month.

God bless,

Vicki

I borrowed my Math Relief algebra to someone who needed to review for some kind of Accounting exams. It's a video program, so you could just watch the lessons until you get to something she doesn't know, & the problems are already written out on the worksheets. I feel it's excellent, but not sure if you are wanting an investment like that (cheaper than some, but more than just a review book).

Julie

Here's a free option we're using to prep for the PSAT. http://www.hotmath.com Scroll down and on the left hand side it says "workbook" in the menu bar. Click on that and there is an algebra 1 workbook. You can find worksheets for every topic and usually there is a lesson on the top of your workbook page that you can click on to review. Very handy!

We used Aleks one summer for review of Algebra 1 before moving onto Algebra 2. My daughter loved it so much that she is still using Aleks along side her other math. There used to be a coupon out for a free month.

God bless,

Vicki

:iagree: that Aleks is a good program for review. For first timers, they have a 30 day free trial . We are taking advantage of it now.

Edited by LUV2EDU

The folks who publish Key to Algebra have an online tracker system that allows your student to take a pretest, and then will pinpoint which pages need to be studied more indepth. After doing those pages, he comes back to the site and takes a quiz. It keeps guiding the student thru the whole set of booklets. The parent can access an online grade book that shows exactly what's been done. It costs $6 to register one student for an entire year. You can read more about it here:

http://www.keypress.com/x22311.xml

HTH

and please correct me if I am wrong- I have gleaned this from other threads.

The kids move from Algebra I to Geometry before they go to Alg II. From what I understand the mind matures more to grasp these concepts so that it is not as difficult when they get to Alg II.

Additionally I know with MUS and I believe others, algebra I problems are intersperesed into geometry so they can review and not forget. This will boost confeidence as well as the fact that geometry may be easier for them.

Usually kids who struggle with Algebra find Geometry a LOT easier, so that year is well spent. I wouldn't fret too much - hopefully it will come when they get to Alg II and are older.

Of course this is all from what I have gleaned from other posts,

Kathy