Menu

Anyone here raise meat rabbits?

If so, can you share information with me?

Breeds?

Cages/Setup?

# of rabbits you keep?

Feed?

Butchering ease?

Amount of meat you get and what you do with it?

We eat wild rabbit occasionally but the more I'm reading about the homesteading stuff again, the more I want to have something easy to raise/eat. We're doing some chickens, but a lot of the books encourage rabbits for several reasons.

I guess as far as the cooking aspect, I'm just wondering if all the meat has to be boned or if there are any larger areas where you could debone.

Thanks for any info!

We do not but friends do.

They have a farm though so the rabbits are housed in part of their beef barn. Free hanging metal cages so they can just rake out the dropping sfrom underneath for mulch. makes great fertilizer.

They have a mix of new zealand and something which I really cannot think of right now. ~ 8-12 lbs.

They have about 50-75 adult rabbits and then babies of varying ages.

They feed straight pellets with some hay.

Her husband butchers them and prefers them to the beef.

They freeze most ofthe meat and make a lot of stews, ghoulash meals, stir fry.

The 4-H rabbit programs have everything in them for butchering, recipes, you name it.

We've had rabbits as pets and LOVED them. I'm just going to have to separate myself from the ones we are raising for food.

It's not different from raising any other animal for food really. I mean there are goats that make great pets, but many people eat them. It's hard, but I just feel like we need to provide healthy food for ourselves.