Menu

Fantasy & Poetry Literature Selections

My 13 yr old son, who is a very adavanced reader, is starting Literary Lessons from LOTR and I will be combining this with ancient and medieval history. I need suggestions on books to read during the Fantasy Unit Study. He has already read such books as the following:

• The Hobbit
  • The Sarmillion
  • The Children of Hurin
  • The Phantom Tollbooth
  • Eragon
  • Inkheart
  • Redwall series
  • Chronicles of Narnia

I also need to know how to handle poetry from ancient and medieval time period. He has just come out of public school and has not studied much poetry.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

May I suggest that you read through this post and others by Lori D? If you go to the tag cloud on the index page, you'll find a tag that reads "Lori D's Words of Wisdom". She had some terrific literature lists which include sci fi and fantasy.

Edited by Jane in NC

Your post didn't open for me and I obviously don't know how to do tags because I couldn't get that to work for me either. Sorry to be a bother but could really use help!!!!

Try again--think I erred on the link earlier.

And here are the posts associated with Lori's tag.

I would suggest doing the poetry with him, and also not leaving him to LLfromLOTR all by himself, unless he really is the sort of kid who prefers to work alone. Its the sort of program that works well doing it together, and also provides a lovely bond and memories. I loved our year of LOTR. Also, be willing to pick and choose amongst the various aspects of the program- some of it didn't feel necessary for us, and we did different writing assignments (I made them up).

As for poetry, it really helps to do poetry together too. Read it aloud.Dont expect to know how to do it- explore it with him- you dont have to be perfect. We did the Iliad around the same time. I searched the internet and found several ideas for creative projects and writing assignments. We listened to parts of it read aloud on CD. I read parts aloud, and so did the kids. We watched the movie and discussed how it differed from the book.

Tolkein's Green Knight is a great, readable medieval poem. We are about to do the Spencer's Faerie Queen but I don't know yet how it will go. We always do poetry together.

I cant think of any other fantasy books off the top of my head, but you may find there is not much time to read a lot of other books during the unit studies. We foudn ourselves moving at a pretty solid pace to finish the program in a year. But, it was our first time through LOTR.

Enjoy the time together, particularly if he is only just coming out of school.

I would suggest doing the poetry with him, and also not leaving him to LLfromLOTR all by himself, unless he really is the sort of kid who prefers to work alone. Its the sort of program that works well doing it together, and also provides a lovely bond and memories. I loved our year of LOTR. Also, be willing to pick and choose amongst the various aspects of the program- some of it didn't feel necessary for us, and we did different writing assignments (I made them up).

Peela, thanks for the suggestions! I was planning to read LOTR out loud to him when I discovered he is almost to the end of the Two Towers for the second go round of the triology, lol. He has agreed to stop reading so I can catch up and we do the discussions together. This boy consumes books!!!

So I want to read the epics, poetry, and authorian tells out loud together. I was going to let him read the fantasy books on his own and then he come talk to me about them but he has read everything I could think of and typical of a 13 year old boy when I ask for his opinion he just says I don't know, lol!!!

This intro to literary analysis class is suppose to be our kick off to doing history, literature, and composition TWTM way combining ancient and medieval periods. Since I'm starting right now and we will homeschool year round I figured I had plenty of time to get most of the good stuff in. If anything proves to difficult or we run out of time he can pick it up again in 12th grade when he is older and more mature.

All opinions and suggestions welcome!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Guest Jason

Wow, I wish my Mum had done this sort of stuff with me. I'm currently studying English Literature in the UK (age 18) and stumbled upon this topic after a quick Google search.

Fantasy Novels and Literature

All I can suggest for some interesting reads in the fantasy genre are:

• 'The Farseer Trilogy' - Robin Hobb (Includes: Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin and Assassin's Quest). All awesome reads that I highly recommend.

• 'The Belgariad' - David Eddings (A five-book fantasy epic. Fairly repetitive, however, a fun casual story).

• 'Old Kingdom series' also know as 'Abhorsen series' - Garth Nix (A lot darker than most fantasy novels - features a female protagonist).

• 'His Dark Materials' - Phillip Pullman (If you like these check out the Sally Lockhart Mysteries series by the same author).

• 'The Black magician trilogy' and 'Age of the Five' - Trudi Canavan (Both series are stunning epics, again featuring a female protagonist).

Maybe throw in some Terry Pratchett if he likes the style of humour used throughout.

Poetry

For poetry it might be a good idea to look at poems from the Romantic Movement, as these will often cover both medieval and fantasy themes. Some poets include John Clare, William Wordsworth, William Blake, John Keats and S.T. Coleridge. Note: It's not romantic as in love, but Romantic with a capital 'R').

Oops, just read that you were looking for poems during the medieval period... I would suggest the Old English epic 'Beowulf', there are many online guides that provide step-by-step analysis of this if help is needed.

Good luck! =)

Edited by Jason
Minor typos.