Menu

Gardening Question about tomatoes

True or false: tomatoes like to be planted in the same spot every year? I read this in at least one gardening book, but the woman who runs the feed/farm/garden store I went today says that's not so because they like acid soil and after a while it's not acidic enough anymore.

True or false: tomatoes like to be planted in the same spot every year? I read this in at least one gardening book, but the woman who runs the feed/farm/garden store I went today says that's not so because they like acid soil and after a while it's not acidic enough anymore.

Two reasons not to plant the same plants in the same spot each year is draining soil nutrients needed by that particular species and a build up of various plant diseases species specific.

I've never heard that tomatoes should be planted in the same spot every year. I'd be leary of that advice.

As a rule of thumb it is better to rotate the crops. Planting the same plants in the same location every year makes them more susceptible to disease. Soil depletion occurs when the soil is not built with a cover crop or the addition of compost in heavy doses. Think about it. The plants absorb the nutrients in the soil, if those nutrients are not replaced the plants will not thrive. Many gardening guides recommend the addition of calcium and even watering to the soil to prevent blossom-end rot; however, this is not always the solution. Rotating your plantings from summer to summer will help.

Thanks, all. Rotating does make a lot of sense, but I wanted to see if this was an exception since I'd read that somewhere. I did buy organic tomato food, though, since I'm going to plant some in a pot with fresh soil, as well as bunch in the actual garden.