Menu

Pet sitting for the neighbors and have a problem

We're pet sitting for the neighbors while they're on vacation, and we turned off the fish tank light. Now it won't turn back on. I tried holding the button in the "on" position for a bit, but it still just barely flickers when I let go. It's hard to even tell that it's trying to go on, it's so faint. Any ideas on fixing it? Will it hurt the fish in any way if it isn't on? Thanks!

We're pet sitting for the neighbors while they're on vacation, and we turned off the fish tank light. Now it won't turn back on. I tried holding the button in the "on" position for a bit, but it still just barely flickers when I let go. It's hard to even tell that it's trying to go on, it's so faint. Any ideas on fixing it? Will it hurt the fish in any way if it isn't on? Thanks!

Try taking off the lid and seeing if the light is screwed in all the way. The vibration from the filter might have jarred it loose. I would try that first. We have left our light off for a long weekend when we had to go away (four days) and they were not hurt at all. As long as there is light in the room it should not be an issue. That has been our experience. :D

Is it a lightbulb or flourescent light?

A lightbulb may be unscrewed or out. You can probably get them a new one and they would appreciate it or they might have a spare in their "supplies."

A flourescent may have come unscrewed and may just need to be turned a little to get it on. These can be a bear to get on. If they are the least bit loose they won't come on.

I would probably leave the blinds or something on if you don't get it back on so algae doesn't start. For a few days, they should be fine.