Menu

Has anyone used Heart of Dakota Preparing Hearts..?

Hello! :)

I'm new here! I am looking at HOD Preparing. I'm thinking of using this for my oldest two children. Next year they will be 3rd and 5th grade. I have previously used MFW K, MFW 1, MFW Adventures, Sonlight 1, and MFW ECC. Although I have enjoyed MFW, I feel like it is time for a change. Amongst other things, I do not want to continue with a curriculum that relies on the library. HOD is one option I am looking at. I really love the idea of a broad sweep through history, and the books look good. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hello! We're not using Preparing next year, we're using Beyond and Bigger. Have you looked at their message boards?

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/

I found them to be very helpful. The women are very gracious and have great advice. Many of them have used other programs and can help you compare and contrast.

Blessings!

Dorinda

No, I haven't used it, but I wish I had used it this year. I've also used MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, Sonlight 1 (now using Sonlight 2 - which I like very much, but still wish I'd done Preparing), and I've tried to use ECC twice but couldn't get it going either time. I have purchased everything for Bigger Hearts for next year. I'll be using it with my second (as is, just as it is laid out) and my fifth grader (with the extensions and his own LA and Math plus Greek and some extra science. Oh, and manners. We are doing manners next year :glare:).

The books in Biggers are wonderful. I love the TM. It has so much good stuff in it. The poetry lists, dictation lists, expanded book lists... they are all in the appendix and you can easily overlook those just by looking at her sample pages. We have already started Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and it's going well. I liked MFW but my children really didn't like the books that MFW schedules and I got so burned out with the library. We had a fun time while doing MFW but that is only because of all that I was adding to it. In my opinion, you must use the library or buy books to supplement MFW or it's just too dry. I loved the idea of MFW but I wanted books, books, books... so we went back to Sonlight. I like Sonlight much more. My kids love their SL books. But, I just feel like something is lacking for us. (Having said all that, I know MFW and Sonlight are both excellent choices and the perfect fit for many families.... :D, but neither were what I needed for the long-term.)

With HOD, I've been able to buy all the books we need and use books we already have (like Sonlight readers that I've been buying up forever). HOD is actually very flexible because you choose your own books for storytime and for the readers, but Carrie makes suggestions. I like her suggestions very much. I thought MFW's book lists were overwhelming and even though we do love our SL books, I like Carrie's choices better. She used Sonlight (and includes some of the same books) and Ambleside Online for years and she can pick out great literature. You can get her book packages if you like but you don't have to. The TMs give a lot of options but her company is a one source provider... you can get everything you need directly from them and you know it will all be coordinated and it blends so well together. She goes one step further with those suggestions (something I wished MFW had done) and gives you the reading level for the books and their genres. I really love that.

I love the way that the TMs give you a key idea for everything. Everything has a purpose and as you go through your TM, you know the purpose for each thing that you are teaching. It feels much more Charlotte Mason like than either MFW or SL. I love the hymns (with the music and words!), the way that every lesson points the child's heart to Christ. The Bible is much more integrated even than MFW (which does a good job with that, I think). The learning is more active than Sonlight but still simple.

The thing I'm already seeing clearly with HOD is that the learning objectives, the assignments, everything is very age appropriate. I love that you can teach to the youngest and beef it all up for the oldest. Older children in HOD are given ample opportunities for independent learning... something that I believe Sonlight lacks in some ways. But, because it's so Charlotte Mason like, the lessons are short, meaty (very high quality), and focused, so you have time to teach two or even three guides at one time. You can really meet the need of each child where they are at. I love that and I think it is unique. Another unique thing I've found with HOD is the care that they provide as you make choices for your family. They are very, very helpful and then you get your books in just a few days! Very fast.

I have most of the books in the Preparing package because they are ones that I used alongside the things we've done in the past. I didn't know Carrie had already coordinated all those for me! And, added all kinds of fun and simple activities to go along with them. (We love SL but even my auditory learners are wanting something to do) Anyways, if you have any questions about the books (just send me a PM), I can try to help. We already love the One Small Square books, love Rey's star books, love CHOW. Singapore is a good fit for my youngest son and Carrie's lesson plans for those look very helpful. I like her ideas and the fun, hands-on component to the lessons.

I am currently using Preparing this year with my 5th grader (along with Little Hearts for my K, 1st and 3rd) and I am really enjoying the HOD curriculum. This is the first year I didn't even think about looking or changing curriculum. It is everything I wanted and more! :0)

I did start off the year with my 3rd grader and 5th grader both doing Preparing, and had not my 3rd grader struggled with phonics and reading in 1st and 2nd grade I am sure it would have worked, but I think the amount of history, science, poetry etc was a bit overwhelming for her. I ended up combining her with her brothers for History & Science (I do make her read a little more history on her own) and have her do her level math, grammar etc. I love that HOD has that flexibilty. Next Year I will be doing Beyond, Bigger and HFHTT. Anyway that is probably more than you wanted to know.

Back to Preparing.....what specifically did you want to know?

Edited by kayinpa
incomplete info, run on sentences

• 2 weeks later...

We have loved Preparing Hearts this year! I am using it with my dss (4th and 3rd) grades. Everything is so well laid out, I truly just glance at my TG about 5 min before the day begins and go.:001_smile: Any supplies needed for crafts are basic things we always have around the house. The books have been sooooo good! My husband does the read alouds with the boys at bedtime and he loves them too. The dictation passages used for spelling have helped my boys that struggle so much with this subject. And poetry actually gets done!:001_smile: The only down side has been that my younger ds (3rd) has struggled with the amount of writing required, but he is delayed in this area, so we modify a bit. Everything has been a perfect fit for my 4th grader. The customer service at HOD is amazing. They are very helpful with any placement questions and the shipping is super fast! We have had a great year so far with Preparing. :001_smile:

No, I haven't used it, but I wish I had used it this year. I've also used MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, Sonlight 1 (now using Sonlight 2 - which I like very much, but still wish I'd done Preparing), and I've tried to use ECC twice but couldn't get it going either time.

Donna, Your post really helped me sort this out. It sounds like you and I have had very similar experiences and I feel the same way about MFW and Sonlight. I could say more about SL, but overall, neither program was an "open and go" fit for us. I am heavily leaning toward using "Preparing" and I'm really excited about it!

Thank you so much everyone for all of the responses. They were so helpful!

May God bless you as you choose your materials for next year! :)

Sara

No, I haven't used it, but I wish I had used it this year. I've also used MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, Sonlight 1 (now using Sonlight 2 - which I like very much, but still wish I'd done Preparing), and I've tried to use ECC twice but couldn't get it going either time. I have purchased everything for Bigger Hearts for next year. I'll be using it with my second (as is, just as it is laid out) and my fifth grader (with the extensions and his own LA and Math plus Greek and some extra science. Oh, and manners. We are doing manners next year :glare:).

The books in Biggers are wonderful. I love the TM. It has so much good stuff in it. The poetry lists, dictation lists, expanded book lists... they are all in the appendix and you can easily overlook those just by looking at her sample pages. We have already started Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and it's going well. I liked MFW but my children really didn't like the books that MFW schedules and I got so burned out with the library. We had a fun time while doing MFW but that is only because of all that I was adding to it. In my opinion, you must use the library or buy books to supplement MFW or it's just too dry. I loved the idea of MFW but I wanted books, books, books... so we went back to Sonlight. I like Sonlight much more. My kids love their SL books. But, I just feel like something is lacking for us. (Having said all that, I know MFW and Sonlight are both excellent choices and the perfect fit for many families.... :D, but neither were what I needed for the long-term.)

With HOD, I've been able to buy all the books we need and use books we already have (like Sonlight readers that I've been buying up forever). HOD is actually very flexible because you choose your own books for storytime and for the readers, but Carrie makes suggestions. I like her suggestions very much. I thought MFW's book lists were overwhelming and even though we do love our SL books, I like Carrie's choices better. She used Sonlight (and includes some of the same books) and Ambleside Online for years and she can pick out great literature. You can get her book packages if you like but you don't have to. The TMs give a lot of options but her company is a one source provider... you can get everything you need directly from them and you know it will all be coordinated and it blends so well together. She goes one step further with those suggestions (something I wished MFW had done) and gives you the reading level for the books and their genres. I really love that.

I love the way that the TMs give you a key idea for everything. Everything has a purpose and as you go through your TM, you know the purpose for each thing that you are teaching. It feels much more Charlotte Mason like than either MFW or SL. I love the hymns (with the music and words!), the way that every lesson points the child's heart to Christ. The Bible is much more integrated even than MFW (which does a good job with that, I think). The learning is more active than Sonlight but still simple.

The thing I'm already seeing clearly with HOD is that the learning objectives, the assignments, everything is very age appropriate. I love that you can teach to the youngest and beef it all up for the oldest. Older children in HOD are given ample opportunities for independent learning... something that I believe Sonlight lacks in some ways. But, because it's so Charlotte Mason like, the lessons are short, meaty (very high quality), and focused, so you have time to teach two or even three guides at one time. You can really meet the need of each child where they are at. I love that and I think it is unique. Another unique thing I've found with HOD is the care that they provide as you make choices for your family. They are very, very helpful and then you get your books in just a few days! Very fast.

I have most of the books in the Preparing package because they are ones that I used alongside the things we've done in the past. I didn't know Carrie had already coordinated all those for me! And, added all kinds of fun and simple activities to go along with them. (We love SL but even my auditory learners are wanting something to do) Anyways, if you have any questions about the books (just send me a PM), I can try to help. We already love the One Small Square books, love Rey's star books, love CHOW. Singapore is a good fit for my youngest son and Carrie's lesson plans for those look very helpful. I like her ideas and the fun, hands-on component to the lessons.

:iagree:

I just got Bigger to do over the summer. I have most of the books from SL and I wanted to give this a go and see how it works. It looks wonderful and so "doable". I love that I can pick readers off my shelf and don't have to have a particular one in order for it to work.