Menu

anyone here ever had a dc in "Pony Club"??

well, I would love to know the costs and what your dd does in it specifically?? I am comparing Pony Club to 4H and trying to find a way for dd to enjoy our horse while accomplishing goals and enjoying the relationship and bonding with the horse. Looking for outlets to ride and learn more.

The annual cost for pony club is $125. Each local club has its own dues/fees, and then there's whatever you'd have to pay an instructor. If you have your own horse, it'll be less than leasing a horse. The instructor for our local club charges $400 a month for the unlimited use of one of her horses. We've never paid that; can't afford it AT ALL. She has graciously worked out a plan with us where we only pay $80 a month, and dd works for her a bit.

I have to say that it does become a bit much if you decide to do EVERYTHING. But you certainly don't have to do all of it.

There are a bunch of different rallies each year for you/your club to choose from. Rallies include Dressage, Show Jumping, Tetrathlon, Games, Eventing (which includes dressage, jumping, and cross country), etc. In addition to this, there are ratings. Your dd would study and work with her horse to meet the requirements of the different ratings of PC. You start at D1 then rate up to D2 then D3, then C1, C2, C3, etc. Actually, you start out unrated and then you have your first rating. The evaluator would place your dd at the appropriate level, then she'd work up from there -- as she wants. The only competition is with yourself.

Let me know if you have more questions. You can find lots of info at their website.

I seem to think that Pony Club is much more intense that 4H. If your daughter is just starting out riding, then 4H might be a better fit for her. If she's been riding for awhile and/or has her own horse, then maybe Pony Club would be okay. We were going to do Pony Club a few years back but neither my daughter nor I were interested in all of the rules and regulations that were involved. It kinda seemed like it took some of the fun out of it. Besides, we didn't have a trailer to get to all of the farther away places she would have had to go.

I seem to think that Pony Club is much more intense that 4H. If your daughter is just starting out riding, then 4H might be a better fit for her. If she's been riding for awhile and/or has her own horse, then maybe Pony Club would be okay. We were going to do Pony Club a few years back but neither my daughter nor I were interested in all of the rules and regulations that were involved. It kinda seemed like it took some of the fun out of it. Besides, we didn't have a trailer to get to all of the farther away places she would have had to go.

yeah, I am sorta leaning a little towards 4H for this reason. She has experience but not a whole lot in the competitive stuff. She really likes the idea of working towards goals with our horse, which got me researching Pony Club.