Menu

Does anyone have a Lit list or supplemental book list that goes along with Spielvogel

I was wondering if anyone has a list of literature books or just supplemental material (books, lectures, videos) that they had prepared that goes along with Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. I plan to use Spielvogel as the spine for 9th grade World History but want to add in some "good stuff" too.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I'm interested as well in supplemental material and a list of books. I plan to do all of World History in 1 year for 8th grade and then break it up for remaining years by doing ancient and medieval for 9th, renaissance and 20th century for 10th, american history for 11th, and then government and economics for 12th.

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

but I have the following books on my desk that need to be (I need to read them first). I plan to use HO up to 1900s for 10th, and do a 20th Century study for 11th using the remaining HO chapters alongside A Short History of the 20th Century and The 20th Century for Young People.

Year 1:

Plagues and Peoples McNeill

Guns, Germs & Steel Diamond

Salt Kurlansky

The Good Earth Buck

Brunelleschi's Dome King

A Passage to India Forster

The Adventures of Ibn Battuta Dunn

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World Weatherford

The World that Trade Created Pomeranz & Topik

Things Fall Apart Chinua

The Scarlet Pimpernel Orczy

Civil War Nurse Brumgardt

Year 2

Dr Zhivago Pasternak

All Quiet on the Western Front Remarque

Red Azalea Min

Cry, The Beloved Country Paton

Kim Kipling

and more, I was trying to concentrate on 1 year at a time, I'd like to try to find one relevant novel from every geographical section possible.

I also have 3 of the Spielvogel supplements, Primary Sources, Maps and Lit, my kids will be spending a lot of time on history

We're finishing up year one this year. I've broken up "The Human Odyssey" into four sections, and then just selected the literature recommendations from TWTM to read along. We've read the expected Herodotus, Homer (Iliad and Odyssey), Aeneid, Oedipus Rex, Gilgamesh, etc., and then any books we find at the library that fit in with the topic. I use the "Study Guide: The Human Odyssey" for review and testing, although in general the guide doesn't seem to ask the important questions. It's more busy work.

I supplemented with the Famous Men Series from Greenleaf. I broke HO into 2 parts over 9th and 10th. Lit selections came from TWTM for the appropriate time period or from Prentice Hall Great (World?) Masterpieces text (I don't have that book anymore).

Off and on, I used the study guide from HO but found it was busy work as Pam mentioned. The study guide did help ds a little in the area of looking at the chapter from an outline perspective.

Hope this helps.