Menu

Requires handwritten math problems

My ds8 uses SM but, recently, he will not do the worksheets.

He wants me to write out the same or very similar problems on a separate sheet of graph paper.

He has no problem doing the work then. He can't explain why. The worksheets appear to be evil.

Anyone else experience this?

Sorry, I'd written out a response after misreading your post--I thought he had to copy problems from the book and was reluctant.

I guess I wouldn't really "give in" and do that extra work. It seems rather strange and almost manipulative. A good sit-down talk might be in order (find out what's behind it all) then, I hate to say it, but I'd just not make it optional.

Edited by Chris in VA

My ds8 uses SM but, recently, he will not do the worksheets.

He wants me to write out the same or very similar problems on a separate sheet of graph paper.

He has no problem doing the work then. He can't explain why. The worksheets appear to be evil.

Anyone else experience this?

Are the SM worksheets on graphs? If not, maybe he just needs that graph visual to keep the numbers in straight columns before he can solve them. Maybe the problems, if not in graph form, overwhelm him to the point he can't solve them? My son, at around 9yo, needed problems on graph paper for awhile, until he learned how to solve the problems.

Edited by Colleen in NS

I would do it for him. Trying to keep his numbers lined up while also trying to solve the problems may just be too stressful for him. Also, they don't always give much room on the page. At 8, my ds couldn't write that small without getting fatigued. I figured that our main focus was learning the math, not the handwriting. Plus, he has always had a writing phobia. We're working on that, separately from learning math.

Ds used to do all his work on a white board easel. Then, I'd write his answers in his workbook. He does his own workbook pages now, but I still make up answer sheets for him to use for his Practice pages. He has trouble organizing his problems. Eventually, I'm sure he will be doing it all on his own. It gets better every year. (he's in PM5A now)

:iagree:

- at ages 7,8,9 we've needed graph paper too. Another option: I would draw vertical lines making columns for ones, tens, hundreds, and so on right on the workbook sheet through the numbers already printed.

As to who spends the effort organizing, obviously eventually our goal is to get our kids to organize for themselves. Because organinzing is its own skill to learn I sometimes do the organizing while a new skill is being learned. Another good example. I took dictation from my 7 yr old as he narrated a 5 sentence paragraph. After several of these it was his job.

My kids still don't like rewriting their math problems on graph paper but they've figured out it takes less time to do it right the first time. The 7 year old still doesn't quite recognize when to go get the graph paper.