Menu

PH Science Explorere or Rainbow Science below grade and how to focus our science?

Can you all help me think this through and offer advice? I have two science issues I'm dealing with so I'll just kind of throw my thoughts out there and maybe someone can help me. :D

Issue #1 I'm thinking of using PH Science Explorer or Rainbow Science with my son next year who will be 8. However, I'm having a hard time with it and I'm not sure why...... I use many things that are considered above grade level with my son but usually only a 2-3 years above. These programs would all be more like 3-5 years above his "grade level" and that makes me a little nervous that I'm pushing too much. He is definitely a science oriented kid (especially physical science) and when I read the samples, I think that he'd be fine understanding the material (with me doing the program with him, I wouldn't expect him to do it on his own).

I think part of my concern is that I've heard really good things about both programs and I'm worried that if we use them now, he may not get the full benefit of what the two programs have to offer. Plus, I'm unsure of what type of sequence we'd follow after this.

So, anyone used either of these programs with kids below the intended grade level? How did it go? Any adaptations that you had to make? Would you recommend it and do you feel you got the full benefits out of the program?

Issue #2 Issue number two deals with deciding what to focus on with an accelerated child. In addition to PH and Rainbow, I've have also considered a few other programs like Bite-Sized Physics and Exploration Education. I know he'd like both of these since he does enjoy and do well with physical science. However, we've also focused a lot on physical science in the last 2 years and I'm wondering if it would be good to branch out a little. Which is why I'm confused again.... at this age should I be encouraging and nurturing his love for physical science and let him really master it or should I encourage him to explore the other sciences more so he is better prepared for the full range of sciences in the upper levels?

If you'd read through my jumbled thoughts... Thanks! If you have any thoughts or suggestions I'd be even more thrilled!

Thanks!

What I've found is that it takes time to let go of the levels on the books. It's not so bad when you're still operating in a framework of elementary school or middle school, but when you leap entire school buildings in a single bound, it can be scary.

I let dd have a lot of input into what materials she uses. I look at samples, then I have dh look at them. If dh likes what he sees, then I let dd look. She is the one who has to do the work and she knows what she can handle.

My experience in doing middle school science with an elementary aged child was a positive one. I didn't use either of the programs you asked about, but I didn't have to make any adaptations at all. If you are considering a life science course at that level, you should be aware that there's a good chance reproduction might be discussed. Some people might want to omit that part. It was all review for our dd, so it was not an issue for us.

My dd did chemistry 2 years ago and life science the past 2 years. This year she wants an anatomy course, so we will probably get that for her. I saw on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op that Plato science will be available again soon. We used that this year as a spine for life science. I plan to get her the physical science course to do "for fun" in addition to her regular studies because she has had very little formal physical science.

The track you take is going to depend a lot on your individual student and his goals. I would make sure he understands what is needed for college, but outside of that, I think nurturing his interests at this age is important. He's never going to run out of science to learn, so I wouldn't worry about using even a college level text at this point if that's what he wants and needs.

Science programs have frustrated me to no end throughout our homeschool journey. Things would either be too simplistic or too advanced and never "just right", so I tended to skip pre-packaged programs and text books, and simply followed the interests of my dc.

My oldest son worked as a volunteer in the local natural history museum when he was only 8 years old and they loved him because of how specialized his knowledge was of dinosaurs. He would hold long debates with the staff and patrons over whether T-Rex was a hunter or scavenger, or about the role of the plates on the back of a stegosaurus. He followed his dinosaur years with a passion for all things engineering.

My younger son has enjoyed keeping nature journals, doing Project Feeder Watch through Cornell University, and he reads all kinds of science books and biographies, listens to podcasts from the science journal Nature.

Over the years both boys built simple machines, lots of legos, k'nex roller coasters, played with chemistry sets. They watched every NOVA and science channel show of interest for years, only now find those shows too simplistic. Neither did any formal science until high school, yet both were more than well prepared for it.

All this to say that you should do whatever catches your son's fancy. Let go of the notion of grade level and let go of the notion of a sequence for science at this age. It is a subject that really has to do with exploration and observation, categorizing and thinking -- things that come naturally to kids and that they should be encouraged to keep doing. Your son has years ahead of him for assigned readings from text books. Look for texts that can be used for reference and just let him explore.

If you feel more comfortable with a program like Rainbow Science, don't feel obligated to keep up with a tight schedule of completing it within a year. You can put it away for a time if your son's interest wanes.

No real advise other than to reiterate what other posters have said. Science frustrates me to know end. I have enjoyed Real Science 4 Kids but the program is so dang short. 10 lessons just doesn't cut it for us.

So, I piece together lesson plans using Janice Van Cleave's series of books ____for Every Kid (Biology, Chemistry, etc.) I find the experiments in them to be easy to duplicate at home and for the most part have been able to do them easily with little extra cost. Note: the only ones we weren't able to do were because we live in the desert where we can't catch lightening bugs or similar regional experiments.

I am particularly thrilled with her Human Body book which I bought as an after thought and have just started. It's closer to a real text book than her others and teach from cells up with questions and experiments for each topic. I love it!

Next year, my dh has agreed to help me put together an earth science program. I think I'll need a lot of luck with that one as I'll be trying to teach a 1st and an gifted 4th grader similar topics. We'll see how it goes. It's always an adventure!

Good luck and HTH.

I want to thank you all so much! You have given me some great advice and the courage to go with the level that my son and I think he can handle. Exactly what that is yet, I'm not sure, but I'm not going to worry about the grade level on the book.

Also, thanks for the encouragement to go with his interests. I tend to be a very structured, by the book, sort of person..... so not following a "traditional" scope and sequence can be tough for me. However, since I know ds loves science and gets so much joy out of following his interests, I'm going to try to put aside my issues and really let him direct the studies (both in subject matter and level). I love science and I want my son to as well, I've got to start nurturing that and setting it as my priority/standard as opposed to the ps definition of the "right" topics to cover at the "right" time.

I'm also surprised at how many of us struggle with science. It seems like there are a plethora of science choices, but when it comes right down to it, they never seem to be quite right for us. Hopefully, by opening myself up to the choices that are available for older students, I can find something that really excites us.

Thank you all for giving me your advice and thoughts, I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Oh, and if you've found a science program that really excites your family.... please share!

Edited by Country Girl