Menu

I'm considering Winter Promise...but I have some questions...

Mommy7

I am wondering how long it takes to teach per day. I would be using it with my 7th grader....I want her to have some independent work and to be challenged in her thinking. Will this fit the bill? (I was looking at the Middle Ages/Medieval one...can't remember what it was called.)

We love learning with literature. But, it has to be all laid out for me. I don't have much time to devote to this study.

My other dc are 10, 9, 8, and 5...and a precious 4 yo. (The others are precious, too!)

I don't know much about this program and would LOVE some input. It would be so helpful.

(BTW, a Christian perspective is essential to me.)

Thank you!!!! :001_smile:

I've used WP, though not the specific program you're looking at.

First of all, are you considering the 4th-6th grade program, or the jr. high/high school one? The only reason I ask is that some WP users find that programs targeted for 4th-6th graders work very well for 7th graders also if you make sure to add in a lot of the other activities recommended/scheduled in the IG (things like supplemental videos, websites, and hands-on activities). Your 7th grader could handle a good bit of it independently, I imagine.

WP is a literature-rich program, so that part sounds like it would fit you. Many of the WP programs, including world history, have a heavy Christian emphasis (they schedule MOH2 in their medieval program). The IG is easy to navigate. Each week's worth of work is broken down into daily assignments. WP schedules a heavier load 4 days a week, and deliberately makes the 5th day a light one. That way you have the choice of using the 5th day for catch-up, field trips, or something else. One nice thing about the IG is that each week has a student schedule as well. The student schedule lists independent work only, so you're able to hand your child their own sheet with that week's assignments.

I used a 4th-6th grade program (Sea and Sky) with my dd when she was in 4th grade. I read a lot to her, and it took about an hour a day. However, I think that if she had been a couple of years older she could have done a lot more of the reading on her own. She could have also been more independent in looking up websites and doing the hands-on projects without much help.

Hope this helps some.

Blessings,

Laura

I am currently working through the Quest for Ancients and I'm using a combo of the 4/6 and Jr/Sr high program for a 7th and 9th grader. We sit down each day and I probably read and discuss with them for about 1 hour at the most. They are given independent assignments for their Make Your Own History pages which are explained. In the Jr/Sr high level they have their own assignment pages that gives them a schedule of what they are supposed to be doing on their own. I find myself a bit selfish in that I want to do all the reading to them because I'm learning so much myself. We don't do a lot of the hands-on crafts and I have not done any videos. My kids seem to be getting enough for them with just the reading and discussion. I think it would help if you could see some of the books used at your local library to see if these are things your child will be able to read and understand. I think for visual learners adding in a video as you go along would be great, too. I'm sure that I could have had my dd (the 7th grader) do all of the assignments on her own but our history time is the time I devote to time spent with my big kids and they pretty much work on all of their other subjects on their own.

Just one family's experience.

Heidi

Mom to 4, teaching 4 in grades K, 3, 7 and 9

There are two programs offered by WP:

Quest for the Middle Ages 4/6 (Middle Schoolers)

Quest for the Middle Ages Jr./Sr. High (7th-12th)

Since your children are 12, 10, 9, 8, 5, and 4, you might want to:

• Purchase the All-Inclusive Set (both 4/6 and Jr./Sr.) -- Your oldest student (7th grader) would work through the Jr./Sr. program, while your next three (10, 9, 8) could work through the 4/6 program.

OR...

• Purchase only the 4/6 Program -- The WP catalog states, "It is, generally, easier to add more to a program than to try to make a program easier -- so if you are torn between two options, it may be better to go with the easier of the two choices.... You can always add more difficult assignments by taking ideas in your guidebook and requiring more" (p. 16). What this means is that your four oldest students (12, 10, 9, 8) could be in the same 4/6 program, and you might just add a bit to your 7th grader's assignments. HTH.

I am having a very difficult time keeping up with the scheduling and this program. My sixth-grade son is using the 4/6 guide and I find the reading is all over the place: too easy, at level, and too difficult. There are some things I really do like about it on the other hand: The Mystery of History and Notebooking pages, some of the books are excellent, while others are dull (perhaps I just don't like the subject matter) I'm an American history buff and I think DS is also. We hardly ever have time for the extra activities either. But I would definitely go with the 4/6 guide for a seventh grader. There is plenty to learn!