Menu

A Question about Shakespeare

How much is enough?

Over the past few years, my girls and I have *done* (read, discussed, watched several movies and 2-3 live productions, sometimes a paper) only nine of his plays along with 5-6 sonnets. They are familiar with the plots of several more, as we read many story versions when they were younger.

It is a little late for my oldest who is graduating in June, but I am wondering if I should add a few more in the next two years for my 15yo, even though we are moving into modern and United States History.

In case it matters, I have tried to balance the comedies/tragedies/histories

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Much Ado About Nothing

The Tempest

Macbeth

Romeo and Juliet

Hamlet

Henry V

Richard III

Julius Caesar

Twelfth Night will be playing here this summer so I can easily tack that one on but....

I can stop, right??

If they love it continue, if not, you've done plenty.:)

I agree with this poster.

My kids love Shakespeare. But mostly I just read the story out of one of the Garfield books and we see a production (sometimes watch a movie first). Sometimes we do a craft. And we always talk about it - but we don't write papers, etc. It's a fun thing, a cultural thing, not a school credit.

It's not that I think that we have not done a nice amount of work. It is more that I am planning not to teach any more Shakespeare for a few years. When I decide that I am done with something, I tend to second guess myself - "Did we do enough, are we far enough along..." - kwim?

So, thanks for the comments. I do feel more confident :001_smile: