Menu

Would you use BJU Pre Calculus if you had a teacher to teach it?...

Our Co-op offers this class and it is taught by a former math teacher. I have heard that the BJU text is too hard to do at home, but I am considering it because of the co-op situation. My other option is to use Chalkdust here at home by ourselves. Any words of wisdom to help me make this decision?

Thanks!!

If we had someone locally to teach it in a co-op, I would probably do that with reservations (not all co-ops are worthwhile). I have to look over the textbook again to make sure it will work for us, religion-wise, but the Algebra II text doesn't seem to be causing too many problems. If Bob Jones doesn't pass muster I'm going to have my son take pre-cal at the community college. It's not a class that I would be able to teach myself.

I taught from the BJU PreCalculus book fulltime one year. It is a difficult text to teach. It required me to make about a million examples myself (the bane of any teacher's existence), and I had to work the problems myself too...and it required quite a bit of problem-solving on my part to figure out what exactly they were asking for some of the time.

Meeting with students five days a week, I still had a tough time getting my moderate math students through the text. My very strong student did okay, but I did NOT use the text with my own child. Avoided it like the plague, if I remember correctly. :)

Our Co-op offers this class and it is taught by a former math teacher. I have heard that the BJU text is too hard to do at home, but I am considering it because of the co-op situation. My other option is to use Chalkdust here at home by ourselves. Any words of wisdom to help me make this decision?

Thanks!!

I'd do most anything other than the BJU. :)

How about using the Chalkdust at home, and asking the teacher if s/he would be willing to tutor your dc on co-op days, if there are any outstanding questions?

That was my complaint with Foerster's.

I should probably take a fresh look at Saxon.

We ended up using the Thinkwell PreCalc videos with Lial's Precalc. It was a pretty good combo.

Ds scored high enough on the local uni's Calc Readiness test to place into their Calc 1, but we had him redo their PreCalc, since he is doing EE there. I wanted to make sure he was *very* well grounded in math, before he hit their EE math sequence.