Menu

Finished with our math book..what next?

Nakia

I know this has been asked, but I can't find the threads. Anna is finished with her 3rd grade math book. She seems very solid in everything she has learned in math this year. I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and start the 4th grade book. I have it here, so I could do that.

What says the hive?

How much time is left in your school year? Do you follow a more traditional school calendar?

I have done both depending on how early we finished. Sometimes I have gone into the next level, and other times I have done other math activities such as games, math computer games, pattern blocks, etc.

Jennie

I would just go ahead and start the next book. My ds finished up his 5th grade math books several weeks ago and we went into the 6th grade book the following week. Any time I feel we are getting ahead of ourselves, I just slow down, do a lot of review, and move on. So far it has worked for us.

LauraD in MN

IMHO, these lower grade years are for learning and mastering basic math. True mastery of multiplication, division, subtraction and division is what helps to make higher math easier in later years. Consider using a different math book at the same level to continue honing those skills (if at all needed) AND to get a different perspective. Drill games are also great fun AND great learning tools.