Menu

angel food ministries

Is any one familiar with this organization?

If so, can you talk to me about it? I am trying to help some friends identify financial resources that would help them manage their family of 7 children on very little (sometimes no) income. Their food stamps and other assistance are just not enough, especially since the Dad's work is not really dependable. They do understand that they need a better long term solution, but for now, I am just trying to help them have enough to eat.

So I looked at Angelfoodministries online and it looks really great. Is the food pretty good quality?

Do you just order the food and go pick it up? No questions asked? I would need to get this family two boxes worth since they have such a large family, and I would just pay for it because, for the time being, I just want to make sure they really like the food before I let them spend their own money on it. But it's easier for me just to go pick it up and pay for it without taking the Mom with me since my car can't hold my children AND hers. So is that going to be okay? It says online that there are no qualificiations.

My friends are Muslim and can't eat pork. I noticed several items contain pork. Would it be really bad for me to take out the pork items and buy something else to substitute from the grocery? Or might they substitute something else?

If I want to get a "speciality box" do I have to get a full meal box AND the speciality, or can I just get them the specialty box?

You definitely would need two boxes. One was not enough for my family of 5. You must order at least one meal box to be able to order the specialty boxes.

I wouldn't feel bad about removing items you know this family won't eat. That's only sensible!

There's no income qualifications for this. In fact, they want people of all income groups to participate so that the ministry can help those unable to purchase.

If you search "angel food," you'll find several threads about this.

Edited by Sandy in Indy
Add info

The food is pretty good quality...I did it for about 6months...My experience is they have ordering times at the end/beginning of the month (you'll have to check out your specific site)...At the end-ish of the month (usually 20th-ish time), you go to the site and pick up...They don't substitute out items (or not that I know of in my experience)....If you want a speciality box you have to buy a regular box as well...

I don't think it would be bad to remove the pork items and buy substitues honestly...And yes, you can go in, order two boxes and pick them up, no questions asked...You do pay when you order though...You are a good friend for doing this for them...

We've used Angel Food a couple of times. We have liked the basic box pretty well and it includes a lot of food for the price. I think the produce box is also a good value, so we always get that, too.

We got a steak box once that was not very good - the steaks that came in the basic box were actually better than the ones in the special box.

You can order online now which is great!!

We've used Angel Food a couple of times. We have liked the basic box pretty well and it includes a lot of food for the price. I think the produce box is also a good value, so we always get that, too.

We got a steak box once that was not very good - the steaks that came in the basic box were actually better than the ones in the special box.

You can order online now which is great!!

Okay the order online thing is new but how cool...Unfortunately, the closest one to us that accepts orders online is 30 miles away...I really dislike living in the middle of no where...

If you are someone who stays away from processed foods and really reads labels you probably won't benefit much from Angel Food.

I agree. And around here buying at Aldi is a much better value, imho, anyway. They at least have fresh stuff available.

hth,

Georgia

My mom did angel food for awhile. They have a lot of processed and frozen meals, but they kept her belly full when she was laid off work.

They really are "no questions asked" so you should have no trouble at all picking up the boxes. As for the extras, I am pretty sure my mom could pick from one of three specials - usually meats of some sort, if I remember correctly. It was like $20 extra or something.