Menu

Anyone switch from Saxon to Chalkdust?

arcara

I'm trying to figure out math for my dd, and it's driving me :willy_nilly:

A strong math program and sequence is very important to my dh and I. Saxon has been working for us, but I'm worried about the upper levels. I also think the incremental method may be a bit boring (one lesson this past week was just about making sure you line up your decimals before adding/subtracting!).

So, I've started looking at Chalkdust because I've heard good things about it. But, other suggestions are welcome. We actually don't NEED a DVD program because my dh and I are strong in math. The main reason it would be helpful would be to make math more independent since I have a lot of little ones.

So, my dd is finishing up Saxon 65 and L of F Fractions, and they've both been easy for her. Where would you go from here? Chalkdust's Basic Math seemed like a repeat of what she's already learned... Maybe she should go ahead with Saxon 76 and then switch to another program? All suggestions are welcome!! Thanks so much!

I loved Saxon for a young elementary program. However, by 7/6 my ds was bored and frustrated with all of the review. He was about 2/3 of the way through Saxon 7/6 when we switched to Chalkdust Pre-Algebra. I had him take the placement test and this is where he placed. Then I "revealed" that he was only going to be in the 4th grade! (I noticed your oldest is a young accelerated math student, too). Professor Mosely suggested we do the Basic Math first. I bought it but did not use it. I thought it had too much review. So, we went ahead with Pre-Algebra. It wouldn't have "hurt" him to have run through it, in retrospect. My son did fine with Pre-Algebra, but it was a switch going from an incremental to a mastery approach. If I were in your situation, I might finish 6/5 and go then switch to Basic Math for Chalkdust. It might give her a chance to get used to the approach. Pre-Algebra was the "hardest" year for him, and I think this was due to the transition in methodology as well as getting to something that was finally challenging (after the first review chapters). Also know that they do offer a placement test on their website. I think it is about $17 - $18 dollars, but you do get a $10 credit from it if you buy a program (or something like that). I wanted the piece of mind that he could handle the pre-algebra.

I absolutely love Chalkdust. I *need* the DVD instruction for my son. He really likes having someone other than me for his math teacher. I always buy directly from Chalkdust and absolutely LOVE having the technical support. My son doesn't often have questions, but it is nice to have that when he does. This was especially true this year with Geometry and proofs since some things can be proven more than one way but the solutions manual only shows one way.

So, my ds has done Chalkdust Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and will finish up Geometry in a few weeks. I cannot say enough good things about the program. Saxon certainly served its purpose for us, and I am glad I used it when he was younger, but when we got to 7/6 it was just killing his love of math.

HTH.

Edited by Hoggirl

Cynthia,

Slight hijack...which CD geometry program are you using, traditional or new? I've seen many posts from people who don't like CD's Geometry. Why do you think your son's experience has been so positive?

Thanks,

Carolyn

I have a math oriented dd and was faced with a simlar situation this year. She finished 65 last year and I knew I did not want to use Saxon for Algebra and above but wasn't sure what to do for this year. We solved this problem by going ahead with 7/6 but combining it with Singapore Challenging Word Problems 5 and 6. This has been enough variety to ease what we call the Saxon Blues but has bought us a year so we don't hit Algebra before her brain is ready. This approach has worked very well for us this year. We schedule a Saxon lesson every day, but on alternating days only do the new practice section and fill the rest of math with Singapore that day. The opposite day we do the Saxon lesson and about 1/2 of the Saxon problems for that day with a timed test. I think this approach has really solidified her knowledge as the Singapore word problems really require her to think in a different way than Saxon has required.

We will finish 7/6 this week and move to Chalkdust PreAlgebra in the fall. My DD just turned 10. We have the DVDs but I am not sure we will use them. I am strong in math, but it is nice to have them for variety or to use as needed.

Cynthia,

Slight hijack...which CD geometry program are you using, traditional or new? I've seen many posts from people who don't like CD's Geometry. Why do you think your son's experience has been so positive?

Thanks,

Carolyn

I think his experience has been so positive b/c he just "gets it." I was incredibly nervous about doing Geometry. I absolutely hated it in school, and never got what I was doing and still made A's. I was really worried about the proof thing. I don't know if Geometry is a "boy thing" or what, but it has been like a breath of fresh air for him. He did well with Algebra, but he has enjoyed the Geometry more. Especially the proofs! I hide my dislike for them and have really pumped up how "fun" proofs are. He will often sit and stare at a problem for five minutes before he starts. I will be freaking out on the inside, "Oh, no - he's not getting it! And I can't explain it! Ack!" All of a sudden he will say, "Well, it is going to wind up being SAS (or whatever)," and then he just starts writing the whole thing out. This is true even on longer (8 - 9 step) proofs!

I think the lectures are better coordinated with the text in the new version, but I am really not sure.

HTH.

I have a math oriented dd and was faced with a simlar situation this year. She finished 65 last year and I knew I did not want to use Saxon for Algebra and above but wasn't sure what to do for this year. We solved this problem by going ahead with 7/6 but combining it with Singapore Challenging Word Problems 5 and 6. This has been enough variety to ease what we call the Saxon Blues but has bought us a year so we don't hit Algebra before her brain is ready. This approach has worked very well for us this year. We schedule a Saxon lesson every day, but on alternating days only do the new practice section and fill the rest of math with Singapore that day. The opposite day we do the Saxon lesson and about 1/2 of the Saxon problems for that day with a timed test. I think this approach has really solidified her knowledge as the Singapore word problems really require her to think in a different way than Saxon has required.

We will finish 7/6 this week and move to Chalkdust PreAlgebra in the fall. My DD just turned 10. We have the DVDs but I am not sure we will use them. I am strong in math, but it is nice to have them for variety or to use as needed.

Thanks! This helps a lot. My dd has been doing CWP 3 this year. The beginning was good because it was a 'new' way of thinking, but about halfway through the year it got boring for her because it was too easy. Maybe we'll try CWP 5&6 with her next year. I also like the idea of alternating days of doing the mixed practice probs.

We moved from Saxon to Chalkdust. I can say that my kids do not complain about CD. They did complain grumble alot when we were doing Saxon (which we used for 11 years)

At first, I was concerned about the lack of review but I find there is plenty. I have DC using Prealgebra, Algebra 1 and Calculus 1.

My dd started with Precalculus, but really struggled with the text layout, not with the DVD instruction, so we switched her to TT. Her personality is such that she didn't like that I just assign odds. She's felt that her work was unfinished....strange, I know.

Haven't regretted the switch so far.