Menu

Latin in 1st grade? Or wait till he reads fluently???

My 5 year old is doing 1st grade stuff right now. He is reading well, but is not yet reading, say, chapter books. Should I wait to start Latin until he is reading fluently (chapter books, IMO) or should I start with something like "Song School Latin" now?

I think it's a good thing to do immersion style of language teaching with children who aren't yet reading, and a bad thing to do formal grammar lessons in a foreign language for children who aren't yet reading. So, songs, games, role playing, story books (like the comics in Minimus) in Latin would probably be beneficial.

I am using Song School Latin for my ds (7) and my ds who just turned 5 read loves the chants. He may not know how to read but he tells everyone he speaking latin. Little by little he is building the latin vocabulary without the sweat. The Minimus is a treat for everyone. They love the CD and the little mini books (expensive) which they fight over.

She is just getting to where she can read CVC words, and I have her using SSL 2x/week. She loves it, so far!

Anyway, you don't have to start latin yet, but if you want to, I would recommend SSL.

BTW, we also do Ecoutez! Parlez! French as a family, so she's doing those lessons, too. All I am going for with both of these at her age is exposure.

SSL is amazing... Sylvia is learning Latin words from it, and she's not a fluent reader. Yet the grammar concepts in the workbook are meaty enough for Becca. I make flashcards of the vocabulary for morning review and Sylvia loves to participate.

Wendy, please tell me more about LNST! I'm desperate for reviews of it.