Menu

Given this situation,would you consider moving someday?

My house is paid for. I have a good job that I've been at for 10 years and local job prospects should continue to be good in my field. Local libraries are quite good. The scenery around my house is beautiful. But...

It isn't cheap to live in this state. It won't get any cheaper or easier when (and if) I am retired and living on a fixed income. I don't have any family here that I can count on. Dh and I dislike these long wet, cold seasons. Dh cannot find a job locally. The smell from the farm next door to us is getting worse as the years go by to the point now where we cannot open windows on the days they are fertilizing the fields (and I grew up on a farm so I some odor doesn't bother me.) None of them but the first two are reasons to need to move but oh, how I wish we lived in an age when we could just pack up the wagon and horses and go.

Not much advice from me but I will say that my husband and I have been through 3 different financial seminars/programs by 3 different well-respected men and they all said the same thing: What's the biggest thing that affects how you are going to be able to live in your retirement years? It's the state you retire in.

Most people have no clue how much this will affect how they are able to live. I say this as someone who lives in THE most expensive state in the country. On top of that, every single year, my county is also listed as one of the top five worst counties for property taxes. So no .... as much as we have roots here and enjoy being here, we just cannot afford to retire here. And what's on the docket for my state right now? (drumroll please) A HUGE increase in taxes. Yippee! :tongue_smilie:

I'm not the type of person to move around a lot. But if I was in your situation, with a dh out of work and no family nearby, I would consider it.

You say you don't have family nearby - do you have family that you would like to live close to? Do any of them live in an area where both you and your dh could find jobs? If so, you might consider renting your house out for a year and giving a different area a try. If you find yourself missing your old home, you could move back after the year is up. :001_smile:

We are also in an expensive area. But we are toughing it out because nearly all of our family lives within a couple of hours of us. We're talking two sets of parents, all of our siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and a plethora of cousins. :D If our family wasn't here, we probably wouldn't be either.

With no family nearby and a husband who wanted but couldn't find a job, I would certainly consider moving.

how I wish we lived in an age when we could just pack up the wagon and horses and go.

I don't think it was that much easier back then. They probably were thinking, "Gosh, I would move if they just had like ....paved roads or something. Wouldn't that make moving a snap?" It maybe have been easier in some ways, but plenty of people still found reasons not to move because it seemed too hard. If you want to move, then start a job search in another area.

Can you sell the house you live in?

we probably wouldn't get back what I paid for it. The land is worth $$ but the house itself isn't. It's really old and though somewhat of note historically it's only local history and that hasn't stopped other houses from being torn down. I've considered keeping it for the children even if we move since taxes are actually quite low compared to the taxes others pay but that really isn't feasible because of strong liklihood of vandalism. It is "the family house" (it belonged to my grandparents and I grew up here) so my heart is here but at the same time I feel almost forced to stay,kwim? I have tons of biological family locally but no one my dh or children know well or could count on if something happened to me...so no ties to be broken there.

Dh and I are having difficulty trying to agree on where we would like to move.That needs to be decided first I guess.

oh, how I wish we lived in an age when we could just pack up the wagon and horses and go.

? People in the "olden days" moved around a lot less than people do now! And just think, now, instead of months on the road in a wagon, starving in the rain, you can hire someone to pack and move for you.

You don't have to stay in your ancestral home to honor your relatives and prove your love. Let yourself go a little bit.

I don't have a 'family' home, so I have no idea what that is like. If you and dh agree to move then do, but if you are unsure or may regret it then stay there until the right decision becomes clear.

We would love to have you down here in Texas! You can even find a house with a beautiful view, the ocean, trees, farms, cactus, whatever you like we have it lol.

? People in the "olden days" moved around a lot less than people do now! And just think, now, instead of months on the road in a wagon, starving in the rain, you can hire someone to pack and move for you......

It may depend on your sources and the exact time of the "olden days" you're speaking of. :D I've read that people used to move more than they do now because we find it easier to commute long distances if we change jobs.

I'm wondering if the OP would mind sharing her general location - ?

The "long wet, cold seasons" sounds familiar; you wouldn't be in the delightfully rainy NW, would you? Really expensive also rings a bell...

If DH might have better job prospects in a different location, that certainly would seem to be a good reason to move. If your job prospects are good where you are now, can you hone in on a different location where they'd be just as good for your field, but also allow him some work opportunities? Not that that's an easy thing to find in this economy.

Another huge consideration is your kids, and their attachment to your home and to their local friends, although maybe you are talking about "someday" meaning after they're out of the house?

I empathize with having no family nearby. My DH and I are in a kind of long-term cold war over this issue: I see it as a very strong reason to relocate, especially as my parents get older (despite there being many strong PROS to our current location), but he really doesn't *get* the need to have family around, due to his child-of-divorce/military-boarding-school upbringing. I would say, judging from the original post, if you & DH are BOTH on board to relocate, and it sounds like you are, then do it. It doesn't sound like you are going to continue to feel comfortable in your current home, in the long run...who wants increasingly stinky neighbors?!