Menu

Adrianne

Has anyone done SOTW with multiple children, esp younger ones?

After trying to teach history separately, I have learned we need to do it together. This year ds10 is starting the modern age, so by default, ds 6 is also. Ds 6 is very thoughtful and can follow along and comprehend the material on his level. (he just can't write for himself).

After reading the beginning of the activity guide and SWB warning not to teach SOTW to kids younger than 4th, I have decided to proceed anyway.

Has anyone done this? Do you have any recommendations? Things you would do differently? Things that worked?

Thanks!

I have a 10yob and 7yob (first and 4th) and we are finishing up SOTW 4. It has been a good year for us. Yes it is a lot about wars..isn't all of history?, but my boys love war so they have loved this year. The chapters do have more detail that sometimes have gone over my 1st grader, but I did not think that was a problem. We did spend extensive time in the civil war, so even though we were learning other chapters in SOTW, we were doing civil war projects for almost 2 months. We made costumes and would have done homeschool in the woods CD on the civil war, but it came out too late..next time. Then second semester we have spent extensive time doing WW2 crafts while going through the other chapters. My boys really got into learning about the different planes and we have watched the History Channel series on Dogfights. This has been great as well. We made origami model airplanes. I am glad we did it for what it is worth. Let me know if you have any more questions, as it is pretty fresh right now..we are on Chp. 34 heading into the home stretch.

Blessings,

Angie (home4fun)

We are doing SOTW 4 this year with dd, 12, in 6th. My 6 yo, a k'er, listens sometimes to what we read aloud and that's about it. Sometimes she colors maps with us or does a craft. She is absorbing some things, but I am not "teaching" it to her.

Next year both dc will be doing ancients. Youngest will do SOTW 1 with all of its fun stuff as well as narrations, and the oldest will do TOG 1 (probably.)

Mary

I have a 10yob and 7yob (first and 4th) and we are finishing up SOTW 4. It has been a good year for us. Yes it is a lot about wars..isn't all of history?, but my boys love war so they have loved this year. The chapters do have more detail that sometimes have gone over my 1st grader, but I did not think that was a problem. We did spend extensive time in the civil war, so even though we were learning other chapters in SOTW, we were doing civil war projects for almost 2 months. We made costumes and would have done homeschool in the woods CD on the civil war, but it came out too late..next time. Then second semester we have spent extensive time doing WW2 crafts while going through the other chapters. My boys really got into learning about the different planes and we have watched the History Channel series on Dogfights. This has been great as well. We made origami model airplanes. I am glad we did it for what it is worth. Let me know if you have any more questions, as it is pretty fresh right now..we are on Chp. 34 heading into the home stretch.

Blessings,

Angie (home4fun)

This sounds exactly like us. We plan on spending a lot of time on those two wars. What is Homeschool in the woods?

This was our scenario last year. Ds was in 4th grade and dd started first grade. Here are some things that worked for us:

• As much as possible, I still tried to follow the first-grade schedule of reading, narration, coloring, outside reading, and projects. We loved making Faberge Eggs!
  • We bought several Dover coloring books and printed coloring pages from the Internet when we could.
  • For grade-level reading I decided to get Biblioplan for modern history; they suggest several books and resources for younger children which you won't find in the AG. We also borrowed reading ideas from Sonlight.
  • We tried to focus on some of the "positives" of the period like art, music, inventions, and so forth. We had a great time learning about the Space Race!
  • When appropriate we also watched movies that would help her understand the era. (Most people probably don't think of The Sound of Music as a war movie, but it helped my first-grader learn about WWII.)

With some planning and creativity, it is certainly workable. But I'm sure glad to be back in the Ancients this year! ;)

After reading the beginning of the activity guide and SWB warning not to teach SOTW to kids younger than 4th, I have decided to proceed anyway.

SWB really warned not to teach SOTW to kids K-3rd? How did I miss this? Where did she say this?

We're doing Ancients this year, with a K'er and a 2nd grader. It's just a light introduction for my K'er, I don't know how much he really retains. My 2nd grader retains some... but not like he would if I'd waited until 4th grade. I know history has wars, but I don't like reading all the gore to them (like when Shamshi-Adad? - not sure - put people's heads on stakes around the city to remind people to obey his laws, for ex.).

SWB really warned not to teach SOTW to kids K-3rd? How did I miss this? Where did she say this?

We're doing Ancients this year, with a K'er and a 2nd grader. It's just a light introduction for my K'er, I don't know how much he really retains. My 2nd grader retains some... but not like he would if I'd waited until 4th grade. I know history has wars, but I don't like reading all the gore to them (like when Shamshi-Adad? - not sure - put people's heads on stakes around the city to remind people to obey his laws, for ex.).

I think she meant not to teach SOTW part 4 (is it Modern history?) to kids younger than 4th grade.

I think she meant not to teach SOTW part 4 (is it Modern history?) to kids younger than 4th grade.

Yes. There's a warning at the beginning of the SOTW audio book--don't know if it's in the book as well--saying that the material in this book isn't appropriate for kids younger than 4th grade, because of the nature of the history covered. I still let my 3rd grade son listen, but be mindful of sensitive young listeners.