Menu

Verb or predicate adj. grammar question

April in WA

Grammar ladies,

Please help my son and I with a sentence in his grammar lesson today. The sentence reads:

The children could hardly sleep, for they were excited.

Our question deals with the last part of this compound sentence. We agree "were" is a verb, but what kind of verb-linking or helping? My answer key says "excited" is a verb, but my son feels it's a predicate adjective with "were" being a linking verb. I can't say for sure. I'm sure there is some rule we are forgetting. Please help.

Thanks,

April in WA

Our question deals with the last part of this compound sentence. We agree "were" is a verb, but what kind of verb-linking or helping? My answer key says "excited" is a verb, but my son feels it's a predicate adjective with "were" being a linking verb. I can't say for sure.
Good for your son. :)

I agree with him. "Excited" can be used as a verb, but in the sense that something/one excites something else. That isn't happening here. So, "were" is a linking verb and "excited" is a predicate adjective.

they = excited

I agree with the other posters. Excited would be a past tense verb if it were used with a form of to have:

have excited (something/someone), had excited (something/someone), would have excited (something/someone), etc.

Another clue is that excite is a transitive verb, so when used as a verb, it needs a direct object, which it does not have in the clause we are examining.

I agree that it's a predicate adjective in this context. The sentence would need to say what the children had been excited by in order for "excited" to be playing a different role.

As one poster said, "excite" is transitive, so you often see it in sentences like this one: "bright lights and happy music excite children."

But if you instead had a sentence that said "the nerve endings were excited by electrical impulses," or "the children were excited from their naps by a loud bang," then "were" would be a helping verb (in a passive construction).

This type of passive verb construction is just the inversion of the transitive verb-direct object construction. (The direct object in "electrical impulses excite nerve endings" becomes the subject of a passive verb in "nerve endings are excited by electrical impulses.")