Menu

Thinking of leaving Teaching Textbooks. But move to what???

My family belongs to a large co-op. We have chosen to go with Teaching Textbooks this year. We do not use the CD's we just use the textbooks. This past weekend the group of moms got together for a co-op meeting. There seems to be the group consensus that Teaching Textbooks is not up to the level that other textbooks are. The Algebra 2 teacher (parent) said that she feels that the book is more on the level of Algebra 1. I am the pre-algebra teacher and I feel that at times it moves too slowly. I can fully teach the lesson in about 5 minutes and the kids get it. Another complaint/concern was that there was not enough problems given for the lesson that was being taught. That the problem sets were review of the past lessons, and often too easy.

My daughter is completing Teaching Textbooks 7 and has asked to do Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra over the summer so that she can join the Algebra class in September. I think that she can do the TT7 over the summer. As the teacher and knowing her capabilities, it should be a piece of cake.

All this being said is this the views that you hold about Teaching Textbooks? We are thinking of changing curriculums for Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 2. What are your suggestions? Throw them all out there. I need to research good math programs so that we can change next year.

Any help and suggestions is much appreciated.

TT was designed for independent learning--no wonder it did not work out for your co-op. Same thing goes in reverse; many good classroom texts are not good for independent learning.

Now the important question. How experienced are the teachers?

Experienced teachers can easily use a program like BJU or even some of the better PS texts (like the Larson one Chalkdust uses)--these programs take lots of planning.

Co-op teachers who are not Math educators may find texts like the Lial series a bit easier to use as the lessons are easy to follow. It is the one I use (even though I'm an experienced Math tea) with my online classes. I did switch to Jacobs for Geometry (the Lial Geometry is not as cost effective and it is a bit dry). I use the 7th editions.

Another good choice (especially if your teachers know their stuff) would be Foersters. It is also common to use Jacobs for Algebra 1 and Geometry and the switch to Foersters for Algebra 2.

For Pre-Algebra my favorite is Lial's Basic College Math.

We are ALSO switching from TT---using Ace School of Tomorrow Alg 1, 2 and Geo with one child and Saxon for another. The TT7 is actually MORE challenging, IMO, than the Pre-Alg, as ds is just finishing up TT Pre-Alg---and I am definitely having him do Saxon 1/2 before Alg 1---it is THAT far behind in concepts than Saxon at the same level. In fact, a homeschool mom that I have not seen for a while and who had been using TT also switched back to MUS mid year. When she REALLY took a good look at the TT algebra---she was totally disgusted! FWIW---she did like and still plans to use the Geometry.

DD has hit concepts in the FIRST Ace Pace in Alg 1 that she still had not gotten to by lesson 54 in TT Alg1. :glare: Personally , I find something wrong with that picture....................

We switched from Teaching Textbooks Prealgebra to Video Text Algebra I. VT is much more comprehensive, but at times it is hard to follow. As a matter of fact, we are stuck at motion problems right now. I get it, but my ds does not. I am not a mathy person, so the problem may be with me. I can't say that I'm totally in love with VT. I'm debating changing for Algebra II. It's a good program. Their method of teaching doesn't doesn't quite jive with me or my ds. It probably is us, not VT.

We switched from Teaching Textbooks Prealgebra to Video Text Algebra I. VT is much more comprehensive, but at times it is hard to follow. As a matter of fact, we are stuck at motion problems right now. I get it, but my ds does not. I am not a mathy person, so the problem may be with me. I can't say that I'm totally in love with VT. I'm debating changing for Algebra II. It's a good program. Their method of teaching doesn't doesn't quite jive with me or my ds. It probably is us, not VT.

Dd is on motion problems with 2 placeholders right now.

VT's teaching definitely requires deeper thinking than many traditional programs. And it is very important that a lesson is mastered before moving on or future lessons will be very difficult. It definitely appears comprehensive and I feel no need to supplement.

I am going to let dd#2 try Life of Fred Algebra but I plan supplement with Math Mammoth. If I am not content with LoF, she will also do VT.

Edited by HiddenJewel