Menu

Get Ready For The Code, Explode The Code

Ohdanigirl

The only thing you might need it for is the page that is just full of pictures. It tells you to tell the child to do certain things to the picture. It's a following directions thing. I was fortunate enough to start using ETC before they took the directions out of the student book, so I refer to that. You could just skip that activity if you wanted to though.

Sorry. I'm kind of new to the homeschooling forums, so I need a little decoding. :) What is SWR? My son is learning to read this year with My Father's World K program. I'm supplementing with Hooked on Phonics K program, which I think goes more in depth. So, does it totally depend on his personality as to whether or not ETC will be a good fit for him? Is it mostly workbook pages that just review what he's learning in the LA? I guess I just don't want to spend the money on them if I don't really need them.

Sorry. I'm kind of new to the homeschooling forums, so I need a little decoding. :) What is SWR? My son is learning to read this year with My Father's World K program. I'm supplementing with Hooked on Phonics K program, which I think goes more in depth. So, does it totally depend on his personality as to whether or not ETC will be a good fit for him? Is it mostly workbook pages that just review what he's learning in the LA? I guess I just don't want to spend the money on them if I don't really need them.

I used Hooked on Phonics also when my dd was learning to read. We went through K-2. From what I remember, HOP doesn't teach the actual rules, like "when two vowels are next to each other, the first vowel says its name." ETC does this. I like HOP and I think it works to get kids reading, but it doesn't teach them *why* you say the words the way you do, just how to say them.

I'm going through ETC now with my dd since we are done with HOP. I started her in book 3 and now we are in book 4. I think it's been a good sequence for her, and it's helped cement the phonics rules in her mind. ETC is especially helpful for sounding out multi-syllable words, and covers a wider variety of word endings, etc. than HOP.

We're going to start a spelling program after we are done with ETC. :001_smile:

I agree with Audrey. I've only used A,B &, C, but that one page I find the instructions helpful ... and in the A, B, & C books it gives 2-4 book ideas per letter that I try to use from the library. I understand that wouldn't be helpful to you being in Mexico, but I do use that, er, feature of the TM. It probably isn't actually worth buying it for what it is, but since I have it, I use it [grin]

We have the explode the code books now. I found that the teacher manual for the lower levels would be helpful. Some of the pictures are a little tricky to figure out. Its not a MUST have but it may make things a little easier. I have several of these for sale if your interested. I have books 2,4,5,6,and 7. All brand new , never used. $5.50 each PPD or $25 for all shipped.

These are great books, I highly recommend them!

Kristina

kristinatucker@hotmail.com

For those of you who used this, is the teacher guide neccesary? Or is it pretty easy to figure out on you own? Thanks.

There's a teacher's guide? I did not know that. I taught all three of my children to read using ETC, readers like Sonlight's 'I Can Read' set, and McGuffey's. I did add in Phonics Pathways & Reading Pathways for my special needs daughter who needed lot's more review. Not sure a teacher's guide could have added anything for me to an already great product. We loved ETC and I would use it again in a heartbeat.

:)

ETC can be used without the teacher guides, but the guides have many additional activities that really round out the program. I'd say that if you are using the books as a supplement, you might not need the teacher guides. But if you are using ETC more as your core, then the guides would be very helpful in creating a more complete phonics program.

BTW, my DC really love ETC. We'll do all of the workbooks.

ETC can be used without the teacher guides, but the guides have many additional activities that really round out the program. I'd say that if you are using the books as a supplement, you might not need the teacher guides. But if you are using ETC more as your core, then the guides would be very helpful in creating a more complete phonics program.

:iagree: