Menu

Restarting Latin in high school with very independent learner--help!

My ds, 13, used LP in third grade and got about halfway through LP 2 in 4th grade--he hated it, so we agreed to postpone grammar for a few years. I doubt he has retained much from that time period. This year we tried the Latin Road to English Grammar. He's a very independent learner, and we couldn't figure out how to make the program work for us; ideally, he likes to work on his own and my role is to periodically review and correct. Teaching Textbook and History Odyssey level 2 curriculum guides, for example, have been perfect fits.

Given those parameters, is there a Latin course that would work for us--or a way to make LREG work for an independent kid who likes to figure out things for himself, but needs a straightforward easy-to-follow daily lesson plan or pattern?

Advice greatly appreciated--I'm feeling stuck and overwhelmed by the choices and hate to invest in more programs that won't work. TIA

Cambridge Latin has an Independent Learning Packet you can purchase in place of the Teacher's Edition. I haven't used it myself, but have heard it takes the student lesson by lesson telling what assignments to and when, plus gives the answers for self-checking (or you could do that part as the adult). My boys are doing Book II this year and are loving the program. Do a search on Cambridge in the archives here plus here's a great link:

http://www.cambridgescp.com

Myra

My ds, 13, used LP in third grade and got about halfway through LP 2 in 4th grade--he hated it, so we agreed to postpone grammar for a few years. I doubt he has retained much from that time period. This year we tried the Latin Road to English Grammar. He's a very independent learner, and we couldn't figure out how to make the program work for us; ideally, he likes to work on his own and my role is to periodically review and correct. Teaching Textbook and History Odyssey level 2 curriculum guides, for example, have been perfect fits.

Given those parameters, is there a Latin course that would work for us--or a way to make LREG work for an independent kid who likes to figure out things for himself, but needs a straightforward easy-to-follow daily lesson plan or pattern?

Advice greatly appreciated--I'm feeling stuck and overwhelmed by the choices and hate to invest in more programs that won't work. TIA

I have never been a fan of LRtEG.

For an independent student who needs an easy-to-follow daily lesson plan, Henle Latin with the Memoria Press study guide would be the best choice, IMO. The MP guide moves at a slower pace, but I find it is perfect for a 13yo. student. My dd started using the MP guide last year when she turned 13, and she is now on the second MP guide doing extremely well with her Latin. She works independently, and only needs my help once in a while when she gets stuck.

There is also a Henle Yahoo group which is full of helpful people, many of whom are Latin teachers.

I have always gotten the impression that Henle is a straightforward textbook that can be done independently as easily as a history or math text. Plus, its written as a highschool text whereas many popular Latin materials are written for elementary students and thus frustrate older students.

I have never been a fan of LRtEG.

For an independent student who needs an easy-to-follow daily lesson plan, Henle Latin with the Memoria Press study guide would be the best choice, IMO. The MP guide moves at a slower pace, but I find it is perfect for a 13yo. student. My dd started using the MP guide last year when she turned 13, and she is now on the second MP guide doing extremely well with her Latin. She works independently, and only needs my help once in a while when she gets stuck.

There is also a Henle Yahoo group which is full of helpful people, many of whom are Latin teachers.

I wondered about the slower pace of the Henle Guides. My son would be in 8th grade next year; if he takes two year to complete Henle 1, will he get through Latin well enough to take an AP Latin exam his junior or senior year? The slower pace would otherwise probably suit him as languages are not his favorite part of the school day!

I've done more research on both Henle and Cambridge, thanks to the links above, and I'm leaning toward Henle. So a few more questions:

Looks like it's possible to move on to the second Henle text without completing the first, provided the basics are covered?

There are curriculum guides by two different authors--anyone use both, one for tests and the other for daily work? Or is that overkill? Are the Henle tests better?

Do you use Henle for four years, or switch after a year or two? I think that's what TWTM recommends, though I'm too lazy to go look it up at the minute. Generally, I find it better to stick with one series or author--once we get used to the format of the books, it,s easier for ds to work independently if things don't change too much.

Thanks again!