Menu

Preparing our dc to read The Great Books?

Greta

Let's say you take Great Books of the Western World to be a pretty good collection of works that a well-educated person should read (if anyone has other collections or definitions of "The Great Books", please tell me about them. I am sadly uneducated myself, so I feel incapable of creating such a list myself. I'm depending on those wiser than myself!). What do you do now, while your children are young, to prepare them to be able to tackle these pretty heavy-duty books?

I use LCC and the SOTW AG as guides for choosing what I read to my 9 yo dd. But I feel like we're behind, because I went through this relaxed child-led phase which I think was a mistake (not judging anyone else's style! just a mistake for us!), and so I'm just never sure that I'm doing enough. I really want to get her ear accustomed to hearing older language, which is so much more beautiful and complex than what the modern ear has grown used to. But right now it's hard for her. I feel like I have failed her and we need to catch up!

What should we be reading? How do you choose what you read to your dc (or have them read)?

I don't settle for twaddle--tuning the ear is very important. Otoh, enjoying reading is also important, and not everyone is ready for complex sentences and vocabulary in elementary school (though far more kids could handle it if given the chance, I think).

WTM says to let kids become familiar with the plots and characters of some of the GB's by using children's versions of them. I think this works with books like The Odyssey, The Illiad, Pilgrim's Progress, Shakespeare--but there are no "children's versions" of many GB's. I want to wait for some of the GB's, too, so my dd won't be bored by reading the real thing--I like to be surprised by the plot, occasionally!

I think just start from where you are, and don't let them read too much that is not well-written.