Menu

2nd Grade Math: BJU, CLE, Math Mammoth

I want something to use alongside ShillerMath for my upcoming 2nd grader...Shiller is Montessori math, and I love it, but maybe I need something more?

I have been reading all kinds of great reviews for BJU math, but then read a few that said it is super teacher-intensive....lots of mom cutting, glueing, etc. I want to be very involved, but I don't really want to be cutting, glueing, etc, IYKWIM.

I read great things about CLE, also, but then read that it moves really quickly. We

I read somewhere that Math Mammoth is "Singapore for the rest of us," and that interests me since Singapore is so highly reccommended (but scares me).

So, :tongue_smilie:! What do you all think?

TIA!

Melissa in St Louis

[quote=I read somewhere that Math Mammoth is "Singapore for the rest of us," and that interests me since Singapore is so highly reccommended (but scares me).

...Maybe you shoud try Singapore first, before you think she is one of the "rest of us". It's no big deal...really.

Geo

BJU is as intensive as you want it to be. You do not have to do all the enrichments they recommend/require. Nor, do you have to do their activities - you can supplement what works well for you dc (m&m's are great for teaching subtraction for example). It is teacher intensive though.

Have you looked at Horizons? My neighbor is raving about this program. I am considering it for 5th grade next year.

I use CLE Math for my first and third grader, after having used Saxon and Singapore. I will probably also use Singapore for ds1, because we go through math books quickly with him.

I like that CLE is nicely laid out and we don't have to jump from textbook to workbook to practice book; it's all in one book.

I am using Math Mammoth with my 4th grader (he is in MM3). I really like the program. I bought the entire year curriculum through WP, but you can download chunks of it on the MM website. It is quite inexpensive, so you could try a portion of it and see what you think.

My 4th grader struggled with Singapore, but has really done well with MM. My 1st grader is doing Horizons and Singapore, but I think I will switch him to MM next year. It is so easy to pick up and go and I love the way Maria teaches the mastery approach.