Menu

LOTR literary study?

Hi,

Im wondering if this study is worth the high price tag? And would it be a good fit for a 12yo good reader, or is it more suited to high school level?

Thanks!

My son completed the Literary Lessons LOTR last year. He was 8th grade (age 13/14). He really enjoyed it but I must add he is a total fan of Tolkien and LOTR's. He has read the trilogy and the Hobbit multiple times. I did not have to do anything to motivate him to do the lessons!

I had him do all the reading, the unit studies included in the curriculum, plus vocab and comprehension questions. He did not do any of the writing because that was a weak area in our home which we have spent this year working hard to bring up to speed. In other words, he would not have known how to write the types of essays suggested. However, we did have some amazing conversations during this study! : )

I would say that if your son is a fan of LOTR and can handle reading the book then go for it. You also don't have to complete it in one year especially with him being younger. The website offers lesson plans for different tracks through the curriculum giving you a suggested daily plan for reading and workbook. Check it out!

http://www.homescholar.org/Middle%20School%20Lesson%20PLans.htm

Sue in NH

Homeschooling 10 years

dd20~graduated

ds15~9th grade

ds11~6th grade

I did it with my two when they were 11 and 12/13. We loved it. But I wouldn't hand it over to a 12yo to do themselves- it worked well as "together work" for us, and because I was right there every day I tweaked it considerably. A certain amount is busy work, IMO, and it is a lot of work if you do it all. We did the comprehension orally, ended up skipping the tests and vocabulary after a while. I made up some writing assignments because I didn't like the ones in the program. The background information and extra studies were excellent however and we had a good year doing the program. It was even more expensive getting it to Australia, but I resold it.

Hi,

Im wondering if this study is worth the high price tag? And would it be a good fit for a 12yo good reader, or is it more suited to high school level?

Thanks!

We did Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings last year with 8th and 9th graders. I'd say the program is best for grades 7-10, depending on the student. It's a great, gentle intro into beginning literary analysis. I'd say that if your 12yo good reader enjoys fantasy/Tolkien, this would be a great time to do it.

We cut down on the expense by using only the Teacher Manual, which is identical to the Student Book, just with answers filled in. (You can often find the TM for sale used.) Or, if your student really enjoys Lord of the Rings and would want to keep the Student Book, then you can always buy both, and sell the TM when you're done. You can also register for the monthly drawing for a $25 gift certificate for use on the website toward the program.

As for if it's too much for a 12yo... We adapted the program to fit our needs and interests -- there is also a gentler middle school student schedule on the website which reduces some of the workload if it seems overwhelming to you. (See it at: http://www.homescholar.org/Lesson%20PLans.htm)

We did the program aloud together, so we skipped the "fill in the blank" comprehension questions, did the vocabulary aloud together, and then spent most of our time on the chapter notes, the discussion questions, and the 12 additional units of material. We skipped the writing assignments. Doing LLftLotR with those adaptations took us about 4 hours a week -- 2 hours to read the chapters in the book; 2 hours to go through the chapter notes, discussion questions, and some of the additional unit material.

If your student does the program as written on his/her own, plus reads some of the additional books discussed in the program, count on a good 5 hours a week -- an hour a day -- to do LLftLotR. In my opinion, the program counts as a thorough literature program -- but you would still need to do separate writing and separate grammar programs.

Hope that helps! FWIW, LLftLotR was a high water mark in our homeschooling and was well worth it to us! Warmly, Lori D.