Menu

How would you speed up Abeka Math 1?

Lovedtodeath

Or, should I not speed it up, maybe?

She has done half of Horizons K. We have been working on MUS Alpha since September. The Abeka Educational Consultant said that she would work on 1 over the summer and start her on 2 in the fall whether we finish it or not. I am worried about skipping over something fundamental, but I am also worried about her being bored, as she really wants to get to abeka Math 2.

so WWYD?

Right now open the Year 2 book and start where ever the "new material" is (somewhere in the range of lesson 30 or 40 approx). Work 2 or 3 or 4 pages then skip a lesson completely (try to find the review lessons) - skip all the year two tests and speed drills at t his time.

Then, next Fall, start at the beginning of the Year 2 A Beka book (Lesson 1) and that way you will go thru all the review of Year one in the fall. and then you will get to Lesson 30 opr 40 in the second grade book (or something and you'll be missing the pages you did last year) and of course you will now do all the missed speed drills and use up the tests you skipped - take one or 2 tests every few days. Remember last year you left every 3rd or 4th lesson intact so now you can review anything from Gr 2 you learned last year....

Hope that makes sense. We do this every year or so .

Lisa

When I tried Abeka with dd, it was a nightmare, but maybe what we did can help you.

What I ended up doing was making my own worksheets using theirs in order to focus on what needed to be focused on and skip what was already well known.

ANother option that would have worked with my daughter (but not my son and maybe not your daughter) would be to double up on the lessons.

Lisa's idea seems easier. :)

Hmm... do you think that it would be okay if I just start at lesson 15 and just do it as scheduled? We would end up a little behind, but as long as DD isn't bored... Her birthday is in July, and Abeka seems a little advanced, and we will be working year round, so I am not really all that concerned with starting 2 in September.

I could copy and cut some of the worksheets, but I really wanted someone telling me what to do so that I won't mess it up. KWIM? I would be really confused as to what to do with the rest of the lesson (Abeka Math is not just the worksheets.)

The only reason I worry is if she gets bored. :glare:

I am trying to think here!:tongue_smilie:

Okay, breathe! :chillpill: Below are some ideas for you. Feel free to pick & choose your preference.

Next, see where her material from Horizons K leaves off & A Beka 1 starts up. You could do this by having her take the tests one per day until she shows some weakness. (Start with some flashcard work for about five minutes, then the test is the rest of her "math" for the day.) Either take note of the weaknesses if there is only one or two per test, or stop if the test is a frustration/failure for her. When you find that 'frustration level,' you know where to start.

Find the lesson(s) that first teach the weakness areas and mark those down. Then, find the first lesson after the last test she did well on. (Say, Lesson 21, 33, & 39 for weak areas. She tested well up to #7, but fizzled on #8. Go through lessons 21, 33, & 39 (including their workbook pages), then start with #43 (the one right after Test 7).

There are several "review" lessons in A Beka that don't introduce any new material. Feel free to skip or combine these if your child is breezing through. Stop to do them (however many of the problems are helpful) if she needs extra work in one of the areas that it reviews.

Some of the umbrella programs that use A Beka schedule 1 1/2 lessons each day for many of the days of the year.

You will probably find that A Beka 2 reviews a LOT of A Beka 1 material at the beginning. We were able to skip to Lesson 40 or 50, if I remember correctly, because the first section was review. We are almost done with A Beka 2 (one test left) because of this and that we do five lessons in four days most weeks.

Definitely don't have her doing every single problem on each workbook page - especially the front ("review") side. She'll hate the program almost immediately!! Good luck!

P.S. My five year old is working on Horizons K (1st book) right now and I'll be starting her on A Beka 1 next. So, I'll be interested in seeing how it goes for you. My oldest didn't "do" a formal K math program, but we worked pretty hard on A Beka 1. I don't think the next one will have to work as hard, although she has some mental gaps that time/maturity will hopefully provide.

I have the Abeka 2 student book and test book already. We are missing the first 16 lessons, so I thought completing Abeka 1 would be a good idea. So if we can skip a few more in 2 we should be in good shape!

Well, we did lesson 29 easy breezey, so I might start on lesson 30. I love the way the TM has it all done for me, and a lot of the material is new, or at least a new way of looking at it. Thanks for the suggestions. I may still use them! I don't want her to hate it. :o