Menu

Question for SL users...saving tips? Core 3

I have searched and tried a few history curriculum's and keep hearing SL calling our name again. I don't want to spend as much this time as I did on the first core. And, this time around I will utilize a library.

So in using SL for these subjects; History/Geography, Read-Alouds, and Readers, which is the most frugal way to go? I am trying to figure out if the Core 3 IG covers all these topics.

We have plenty of language arts with WWE, FLL, and R&S english.

Thanks for your input!

Some tips--

since you aren't using the LA portion, buy a used IG at least a year old.

Try some used booksellers--Snow White posted a great link the other day--www.betterworldbooks.com They have lots of Sonlight titles.

See what you can get at the library--some books in 3 are light weights and not worth owning, but well-worth reading, iykwim.

And yes, history, geog, read-alouds and readers are all covered in the core.

I'm currently using a 2005 Core 4 IG, our sixth. I use the two library systems that I have access to within our normal "routes," borrow books from friends, use http://www.paperbackswap.com, and bought the rest discounted or used. Some books are used so many weeks that you really do need them in hand, but if you have access to ways to borrow that will give you the books when you need them, it's not bad to do it that way. I tried inter-library loan when we using Core 3, and it was too much trouble. Sometimes the books arrived too early or late. I also borrow from friends, which works if you know other classical educators because many of Sonlight's books are also used by Tapestry of Grace, Veritas Press, and others. It also helps if you don't follow a traditional school year. Local friends have complained that if you homeschool September to June, the Sonlight books have been hard to get.

That said, if I had the money, I'd buy it all new though. My IG has sticky notes in the various weeks ahead noting where I have to go to borrow certain books and alternatives for books where the library may have only one. It works, but is more than I'd like logistically at times.