Menu

Can homeschoolers join academic societies?

Has anyone administered or set up a local chapter of the National Homeschool Honor Society? Is it a huge amount of administration? I'd love to have a local chapter, but I've hesitated to start it as I have so much on my plate as it is.

Thanks,

Lisa

There are 2 chapters here. As with any type of volunteer work, I'm guessing it's more work than one would expect. :tongue_smilie:

While my oldest dd was a member, the leadership of her chapter changed. The new leaders really put it on the officers to do the work, and they considered themselves facilitators who were available to give guidance but not to do the grunt work. It worked out beautifully. The kids rose to every challenge, and they even got the mayor of Raleigh to be the guest speaker at the induction ceremony. Also, because of the size of our chapter, all of the parents were expected to volunteer in some way, such as providing refreshments, helping with setup/cleanup, and things like that.

We have joined National Junior Classical League, our state JCL and NJCL Latin Honor Society. At both NJCL and our state JCL, my DDs have competed in various types of competitions. Academic tests, creative writing, art projects, dramatic interpretation, costume contests, etc. They compete against public schools, private schools and a few other homeschoolers. The oldest two included all of their awards on their college transcripts. I wouldn't say that they rejoice in homeschoolers but they do let us participate and it has been a positive experience for my DDs. One served as a state officer which gave her leadership experience - this was an office she had to campaign and win. We also take the National Latin Exam, National Greek Exam, and the Medusa Mythology Exam.

Both of my older kids have belonged to the national homeschool honor society--and had radically different experiences. My dd's chapter was very meeting oriented. They spent a lot of time talking and organizing and little time doing anything. Ds's chapter is very different. Each meeting they spend a couple of hours working at a nursing home for Alzheimer patients. Then they have lunch and some fun activity. What little business there is is done over lunch. Once a year, in addition, they pack boxes (with items they purchase) for servicemen. I've been very pleased with ds's chapter.

I think you could start a chapter and make it what you want. I would recommend a more active model as the kids really get more out of it. It would take time and effort to make it successful, but it would be beneficial not just to your family but many others as well. Go for it!

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I'm resurrecting this thread :) & hope that those that have children participating in the societies or leagues (or have in the past) will give me some input.

Was participating beneficial purely from a transcript perspective? I ask because we don’t have chapters in our state (that I can see) so we would really just be in it for the kudo on the transcript. I doubt we’d have any opportunities for meetings or interaction with the groups.

I appreciate your opinions!

Christi