Menu

Suggestions (especially Latin) for bringing home my 2nd grader and K'er

mbeaser

Hi everyone! I was Missy in VA on the old boards, although at the end of next month I get out of the Navy and will move back to IN and can finally HS my kiddos. I'd love to have some suggestions on what to use for Latin and for handwriting/copy work. DS is 7.5yo and is in PS 2nd grade. He's not a great student, but is a decent reader. I think his handwriting is awful, although his teacher has said it isn't that bad. DD is 5yo, but has been reading for more than a year and frequently reads books DS brings home from school. She is a lefty.

I'll have about 2.5 months at home with them before I start classes and then my Mom and I will share HSing them. I'm a LCC fan, although I think we'll do a bit more history reading and perhaps some informal science. I'm trying not to to a school overload, although I'm tempted (WHY does there have to be so much interesting curricula available?). I don't have anything picked out for Latin, nor do I have a handwriting (and/or copywork) curriculum (although we did use the MP copybook II last summer for DS). Any other thoughts/suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. TIA,

Missy

Writing With Ease? Perfect for you 2nd grader. As for Latin, we haven't done it with the youngers yet although we have Prima Latina just sitting on the shelf, waiting for mom to get motivated :) That could work for both your dc. If your 2nd grader has not-so-good handwriting, you could try HWOT. Many like that. We used it, but by cursive I like the more traditional cursive (it's just prettier!). BUT, HWOT works well for those kiddos who have challenges with writing. I switched my ds6 OUT of HWOT to do a more traditional manuscript and I'm regretting my decision. Ah well...good luck to you!

For Latin, Classical Academic Press is releasing a new curriculum for grades K-2 around the end of March I believe. It is called Song School Latin. and the sample of it looks great! I'm planning on getting it to use in the Fall with my older 2 who will then be 8 and almost 6. You can check it out here...

http://www.classicalacademicpress.com/

HTH!

Personally, I'd leave Latin for a bit and concentrate on more core subjects. Anything they study now they will probably go over again later. I like Latin Prep (Galore Park) from 4th or 5th grade, but not earlier.

For fixing handwriting, I recommend going to Handwriting Without Tears Cursive - that's what I did when Calvin came out of school with horrible printing. He still can't print well (and I don't think it's important - he can always write in block capitals on forms) but his cursive is fine.

Laura