Menu

Can you stand another KitchenAid Mixer question?

I currently have the small 4.5 quart. Dh gave me the go ahead this morning to upgrade. It drives me nuts that I can't make a double batch of pizza dough in my current mixer. I thought I wanted the Artisan model, but am thinking I should go with the Pro Series. This is the model I'm thinking about getting. Any opinions? I should mention, we are a family of 7. Thanks!

I have 2 kids. My friends who have Bosch have a bunch of kids. Yes, the Bosch has bigger capacity and a larger engine, allowing it to make bigger batches of dough. HOWEVER, and this was the killer of the Bosch for me - the Kitchen Aid is just a breeze to clean - if you have a little one, you know what I mean. The Bosch has a bunch of parts and you have to take it apart to clean. Plastic bowl, etc., would make me scared to put it in the dishwasher, after paying that much.

That was the deciding factor for me. I don't need to make 10 loaves at once, because of how many are in my family. The big Pro model is more than enough for me and my family. I"m so excited to get it this week!!

Yeah, but a Bosch doesn't come in RED! :p I can't spend that much $$ anyway. I told him I could probably get away with about $300. lol

True....... red would rock.

I'm just praying at this point the blue one i have doesn't bite it with that part HE didn't replace when he fixed it.

But red.......

I have the Artisan model and I can make double-batches of bread without a problem. But I bet the Pro is even better. I'd get the bigger one. After all, when they're all teenagers you might need quadruple batches. LOL!

I wish I'd upgraded but I got the Artisan for a killer price and couldn't pass it up...

I have the Pro and, while I love it and would only trade it for a 40qt Hobart that bolts to the floor and comes with a safety cage (yep, total geek), you should be aware that the little clip in the back that holds the bowl in place on the raise-arm models (the Pros) does not hold that well for huge batches of dough. In reality, that means I have to hold the bowl steady (or it rocks back and forth on the arms) when I make large batches of stiff dough... it is only occasional, but it was startling when I moved from my screw-base model.

Otherwise, I have been very happy with mine, and make 4x pizza dough and double batch bread pretty frequently with no issues.

Yeah, but a Bosch doesn't come in RED! :p I can't spend that much $$ anyway. I told him I could probably get away with about $300. lol

Mine is :D (I got the Bosch a couple of years ago when they were running a Mother's Day special on a red edition....it was the same price as the white but had a free blender.)

If I were looking at $345 for a KA, I'd splurge the extra $50 and get a Bosch. And I HATE HATE HATE hand washing dishes, but I think washing the Bosch bowl in the sink is a breeze. No troubles making 4 loaves of w/w bread at a time either. (made my KA walk and groan to do 2)

JMO

If you do go for the Kitchen Aid (I'm in the same boat... I have one that is too small now for double batches ) Kohls.com has it on sale for $399 but if you use the coupon code GRAND30OFF it takes off 30% plus they have free shipping over 75$.

According to my math, that would be $280 or so plus tax. Plus, you can always take it back to Kohls, instead of shipping it back to Amazon.

Just FYI. Post if you buy it and if the coupon code works. It was supposed to expire today.

I ended up buying the 5 quart from Sams Club. I hope I don't regret it. lol. It was a good price, and I think I can still file for the rebate, which made it an even better price. Plus...a big plus...I didn't have to wait for it to come in the mail. :p I'm going to try it out tomorrow. According to the flour capacity, it should be just fine! Thanks for all of the replies!

Grrrr....I made cinnamon rolls this morning. The paddle hits the bottom of the bowl. I adjusted it...as much as it can be adjusted...it still hits. I'm going to mix one more thing in it, just to see if it was a fluke, but I'll be returning it to Sam's Club if it keeps it up. :-( Size wize I think it's fine though, so hopefully they'll have another red one that I can exchange it for. ;-)