Menu

Copywork

Targhee

I am looking for some recommendations for copywork. :bigear:

I do not want a complete writing or complete grammar course that includes copywork, unless it is mostly copywork with some narrations or gentle grammar. Really, I am looking for some copywork selections already put together for easy copying. My DD has trouble with the fine motor tasks of writing, and we're working on it, but I don't want to overwelm her with large selections for copying. DD is 6.5, reads at a mid third grade level, and has great comprehension skills... it's just this handwriting stuff!

So, I guess I'm looking for:

- copywork (not copywork as an element of other LA program)

- "literary" passages (things worth reading/writing on their own, out of context)

- shorter passages (beginning at ~2 sentences per sitting and working up to longer passages)

- easy format to copy from

It would be especially nice if it were in Getty-Dubay Italics font. If it includes Bible passages I prefer KJV.

Anyway, all suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

We've been using the copywork that correlates to Flying Creatures of the First Day by knowledge box central. My kids really enjoy it. It's not Italics though. My next copywork purchase will be from QueenHomeschool.com. I really like their themed books.

You can find copywork at Lulu.com - some of it in GD Italics and some of it is free.

In the Files section of the Ambleside Online Copywork Yahoo group you will find literary selections for the different years. These are not GD Italics.

Italic Builders has GD Italics copywork.

You could also get a program like Educational Fontware and make your own from the above selections.

I am looking for some recommendations for copywork. :bigear:

So, I guess I'm looking for:

- copywork (not copywork as an element of other LA program)

- "literary" passages (things worth reading/writing on their own, out of context)

- shorter passages (beginning at ~2 sentences per sitting and working up to longer passages)

- easy format to copy from

It would be especially nice if it were in Getty-Dubay Italics font. If it includes Bible passages I prefer KJV.

I went through several resources before I found what works for us. I have used copywork books, but found they didn't progress at a pace we liked and the font and line spacing were usually too big. I have used various handwriting software products and found it cumbersome to type in the passages - after a while it just wasn't getting done. I have tried WWE workbooks - these were great had had nice passages to read then shorter sentences to copy or dictate, but again the font size what exactly what I wanted and I ended up typing them into a handwriting program which then later I quit using.

So, what I started doing was copy the passage in my best handwriting which was better than hers at the time, and she would copy from me trying to write better than mine. At first I would skip several lines so that she could write directly below mine. Then when she was ready, she copied onto a lower space on the page. Now we both just copy it at the same time.

For material, I used lines from poetry we were memorizing. The copying helped with that. I have also used the dictation sentences from SWR, material from Harp and Laurel Wreath. Right now, as she does her daily reading, she keeps an eye out for beautiful or interesting sentences and marks the paragraph with a post-it. The next day, we use the chosen paragraph for the copywork.

I have found that she likes the power of choice in the copywork. Once her handwriting got better than mine, she started asking to skip copywork. But I explained (more than once) the reasons we do copywork.

She has finally decided to learn cursive so we do cursive practice at a seperate time. Once her she is ready, we will switch to cursive copywork.

Good luck in finding what works for you, but keep in mind that it may be a method you need and not a product.

Italic Builders has GD Italics copywork.

Thanks! I found Italic Builders last night late - very interested - and received their sample work via email. Has anyone used them? Reviews or recommendations about their Character Italics series?

You could also get a program like Educational Fontware and make your own from the above selections.

Yes, I have thought of it, but was hoping to spare myself all the time involved with locating selections to copy, formatting, adding nice pictures etc. I think I'd have a lot of fun doing it, but I don't think that is where I can put my time

I have found that she likes the power of choice in the copywork. Once her handwriting got better than mine, she started asking to skip copywork. But I explained (more than once) the reasons we do copywork.

Good luck in finding what works for you, but keep in mind that it may be a method you need and not a product.

Thanks - you're quite right about the power of choice, I need to keep this in mind.

We've been using the copywork that correlates to Flying Creatures of the First Day by knowledge box central. My kids really enjoy it. It's not Italics though. My next copywork purchase will be from QueenHomeschool.com. I really like their themed books.

I haven't seen these, I'll have to go check them out

Thanks everyone for suggestions - I'll have to check out Harp and Laurel Wreath as well.