Menu

Has anyone had a 9 yo child take VP Scholars online Latin I?

yvonne

It looks like this may be the only way we are actually going to get Latin done here! Has anyone else had a child take the Latin I class with Nancy Donaldson?

My boys will be 9 & I will definitely work with them on the material between online classes, but it would be great to hear from anyone who's had experience with it already.

Also, is there anywhere I can see what texts are used for the online Latin I and Literature I classes?

Thank you!

yvonne

It looks like this may be the only way we are actually going to get Latin done here! Has anyone else had a child take the Latin I class with Nancy Donaldson?

My boys will be 9 & I will definitely work with them on the material between online classes, but it would be great to hear from anyone who's had experience with it already.

Also, is there anywhere I can see what texts are used for the online Latin I and Literature I classes?

Thank you!

yvonne

If you click on Latin I at this website, you will see that they use Wheelock and Cambridge. It is my understanding that Wheelock is college level and Cambridge is high school level. I personally would be reluctant to put a 9yo in the class. Have you tried calling and asking?

I *think* some of the online latin schools offer latin for junior high. Email me if you would like a list of all the online latin schools I've found.

Maybe it's a crazy question, but have you thought of doing Latina Christiana with them. It's maybe not the "fun" that some are looking for, but it was really great for us. If you can find another family to do it with, it makes it more of a "class". My daughters were 8,11, and 14 when we started and it worked out great for them. Of course, I would purchase the dvds to go with them, and plan on spending 30 minutes or so...each day.... (Or at least the lesson and then 3 times a week)

Just a thought....and less expensive:-) They are doing well now with Henle....

Carrie:-)

I am not familiar with their online classes but I wanted to mention that their Grammar school Latin 1 is Latin for Children - not Wheelocks. They have two separate set of classes - Wheelocks is in their Secondary classes.

If you need someone else to teach Latin for Children you could just get the DVDs. But I'm sure the VP classes are very good. The samples of the other classes I saw online looked good.

Heather

Thanks for the link, Sue. It was for the secondary classes, but I was able to get from there to the grammar classes & find exactly the info I'd been looking for.... And it looks like they do use LFC for the grammar level Latin I classes, Heather in VA. Thanks for clarifying.

I had planned to use DVD's to do Prima, but.... I've had the Prima materials for 8 months now & still haven't started. :( Having had a French tutor once a week since August, I've found that we do much, much better if I've got some sort of outside, driving, organizing force. I'm great with getting the core reading, writing, & math done, and done well, on my own. But I put so much time & energy into those subjects that I need someone else to organize & get me started on the extras. I can do the actual daily work with the children, when it's laid out and paced by someone else. But, if it's up to me to research, plan, organize, schedule, and, oh yeah-teach it, well.... I could happily spend all my time on the first four and never get to the actual teaching part. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Maybe we'll try to do Prima over the summer to get a jump on the school year.

yvonne

You know, I have come to the conclusion that for me there are definate places for outsourcing. If Latin is a priority for you, you know you are overstretched trying to get it done, and you have the money - then by all means. Do it. There is nothing wrong with being realistic and outsourcing something you have as a priority.

I'm doing it too. I haven't with my youngers yet but I really wanted to continue with Classical Writing in the upper levels. I'm just not able to give it the expertise it needs but it's a critical priority for me so we are using an online class. Next year she'll be doing a high school level online Latin class as well. I balance what I can handle and do well with where I need assistance.

Heather