Menu

FIAR Co-op

I have FIAR planned next year for my oldest's K year. My dd loves being with other kids and I thought it might be fun to get together with another family or maybe a few families one or two days a week. I'm thinking geography and art might be two good topics to use on these days. So, has anyone ever done this? Or if it was available would you do it? Any input would be great!

I organized a FIAR coop when my hsers were 6 and 4. It was a bigger group than you're thinking about so YMMV. It was a lot of work for me and, although the kids loved it, it ended up not including many FIAR activities from the TM. A lot of the activities work well in a home, but not in the park pavillion or library room where we met so we ended up having to come up with different activities for the coop. If I had to do it over, I would have used homeschoolshare units so that no one had to buy the FIAR manual (or not buy and wing it ;)).

OTOH, I'm not completely cured of coops, and I am thinking about organizing a special needs coop next fall using either FIAR Vol. 4 or Konos. I know my ds would love this and it would give him and the other kids a place to shine. So, I do think it's a worthwhile experience, but be prepared to put in a lot of work.