Menu

4th Grader - How can I encourage independant accuracy and quality work?

Yes, I know, homeschooling topic on the General Board, oh my! Sorry, but I have to ask this question, and it's not really about curriculum, so here goes. I'm in such a quandry. My 4th grader has a tough time turning out accurate and quality written work when I'm not watching and sitting right next to her. If I'm sitting right next to her and watching with some coaching, she does her work to my expectations, but if I'm not watching and I leave her to do her math problems, or to write a few sentences on her literature book - poof! Her work goes to heck.

I'm thinking back through our homeschool journey, and I know I haven't spent enough sit down instruction one-on-one time with her over the years, especially in 2nd & 3rd grade, because we had so much going on those years. Could it be that she just needs more time with me sitting by her and coaching her before she can turn out quality work? I've also switched curricula an insane # of times. Could this be the cause? Maybe if I stick with something and sit down with her more she'll improve?

It's only with written work. With fill in the blank, multiple choice, reading, or oral drill she does great! She's an excellent reader. She's a poor speller, and she hates writing, and it shows in her product. :glare:

Any help/advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JenniferB

Well, I've had this problem off and on and I think it can be a maturity issue - 4th grade is still very young - but when I sensed that a child was just rushing and being sloppy and really could do better with some effort, I required that it be erased and done over. That usually nipped it right away. No, they were not happy and sulked a bit, but next time it was done neatly.

I think it is a bit of maturity issue, but also expectation issue.

Here is what we did for my son, who sounded alot like yours. Perfect work if I was right there, but let me go do something else and come back and it was a mess.

One: At the beginning of the school year, I am careful to give very good directions, lots of oversight, right next to him. Corrections are made right as errors happen.

Two: Gradually back off. Give assignment, and check in through the work to see how things are going. Stop right then and go back and fix any errors.

Three: Back off altogether. Do assignment, follow instructions, and I check it later in the day. It is known that assignments will be redone if not up to par.

This is a two-three month process, but now my DS10 does alot of independent work with no problems. A constant speech of "take pride in your work, you should always be putting your best work out, etc etc" was given. We had several times where work had to be redone, there were alot of tears and angst about it, but he knew the expectations from the beginning.

He still is not perfect, but it has definately become easier.

Well, I've had this problem off and on and I think it can be a maturity issue - 4th grade is still very young - but when I sensed that a child was just rushing and being sloppy and really could do better with some effort, I required that it be erased and done over. That usually nipped it right away. No, they were not happy and sulked a bit, but next time it was done neatly.

This is what we do. Hand me something acceptable or it gets erased and redone. This won't happen too many times.

Best method:

Wait a few years.

Now? Sit near her while she works.

:iagree:

I have a daughter the same grade and with the same issues. There is wisdom in waiting. In addition to that, these are a few things that have helped here that you can do sitting right beside her.

1. An electronic Dictionary for $30 at Office Max. It has made it easier and far more interesting to check the spelling of words. The final product has fewer spelling mistakes.

2. Teach her to finish a project to the end. I'm not sure if you have the same history as we do but I did not teach my daughter to finish a written piece of work. It was mostly because I was just happy she was writing. Once we walked through the process several times it became familiar to her and she tried harder the next time to get it right the first time. ;)

3. After we file her finished work in a binder, she shares it with people that will encourage her. Maybe you do this already but it has made my daughter proud of her work. Sit down, read over and compare her work from last month or last year and notice the improvements out loud.

Best Wishes! I look forward to other the other ideas you hear about.